MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-07-2002, 04:46 PM   #1
Agent_4573
Registered Member

Default I lost my low end... can u help me find it?

So I installed the new C&L 76mm mass air and intake tube, and a bigger 65mm throttle body. I knew I would lose some low end but it feels like the brakes are on in the car now. I can't even chirp the wheels in first without using the clutch. Replacing the fan with a new electric fan helped get it back a little but i still lost a lot of power. I'm looking for a way to maximize on the bigger parts without replacing the heads just yet. I'm going back to school in a month and need some $$$ in the bank. I've got traction bars coming in the mail, and my next buy was gonna be 1.6 ratio roller rockers. What else can i put in to get some of my power back? I mean it drives like a 4cyl right now.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 12:21 PM   #2
chris91LX
Registered Member

New heads, cam and intake will help That's kind of the name of the game. Putting a 65mm tb and 76mm maf on a stock long block, your going to lose low end torque, same thing as 2 1/2" exhaust on a stock motor. I'd suggest a taller gear, 3:73's will make a huge difference and they are still very streetable. Roller rockers would help too.

Though if it's as bad as you are saying and you lost ALOT of power, you may have something else going wrong, check all the vaccum lines and timing and such.
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 12:48 PM   #3
RPM427
Registered Member

This is a stupid question, but is that MAF meter for your 19# squirters or did it come with the 24# sampling tube. If you remove the MAF meter and look at the ends of the sampling tube, it will have some blue die on it if it is for 24#. I don't know what color the 19 tube is.

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 01:23 PM   #4
Agent_4573
Registered Member

I'm checking the timing for it now, but my timing light bulb burnt out so now im guessing. I'm just gonna advance it til i hear detonation then back it off. I drove the car today and noticed that it has more power at 75% throttle than at full throttle. This is really noticable in 2nd and 3rd gear. When i let off the gas to shift the car hops forward like it found 20 more horses. Its pissing me off cuz i know the power is there i just can't find it.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

www.ricehatersclub.com
Old 08-08-2002, 01:24 PM   #5
Agent_4573
Registered Member

i forgot, the mass air is set for 19# injectors.

www.ricehatersclub.com
Old 08-08-2002, 01:29 PM   #6
ssccoupe91
Registered Member

did you set the tps sensor on top of the throttle body?? it needs to be between .8v or 1.0v most people set theirs at .9v
ssccoupe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 01:47 PM   #7
Agent_4573
Registered Member

Yeah i set that. I did it yesterday when i was trying to adjust my idle. I adjusted it to somewhere about .92 but im not to sure because i have an analog voltmeter and not a digital one. Advancing the timing seemed to help but I'm still down on power and can't advance the timing anymore because i'm getting alot of header noise/slight detonation.

www.ricehatersclub.com
Old 08-08-2002, 02:58 PM   #8
ssccoupe91
Registered Member

i would get a digital volt meter.. set it on ohms and see what it reads.. double check this.. just in case..
ssccoupe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 09:55 PM   #9
Agent_4573
Registered Member

Ok. maybe you guys can give help me out with all this cuz this other problem is related too. As the above posts state, i lost my low end after a airaid filter, 76mm mass air and 65mm throttle body were added. Now i went to the tech50 webpage and followed thier directions for adjusting my idle. Only problem is i can't get the idle below 1100 rpms. I have a feeling this is relating to the non existant power i have. This loss of power is through the entire rpm range though, up to 5500 rpms. When i went to adjust myy timing, the tpw is at ~.92 and with the iab unplugged, when i back out the idle screw it won't drop below 1050 rpms. I can screw the idle adjustment in and raise the idle but i can't drop it below ~1100 rpms. I'm guessing that i should fix this problem before i try to get all my power back. All this help has been great and anymore would be even better. thanks guys.

www.ricehatersclub.com