MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-28-2002, 08:13 PM   #1
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Default Rear End Choices

Well ive been thinking about building up a good rear end for my car and i want to see what everyone reccomends. Basically the biggest thing im wondering is which center section. Theres so many choices like the eatons, detroit locker, auburn and more. The car is gonna be a street car and visit the track every once in a while. What do you guys reccommend.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:57 PM   #2
SlowGT
Registered Member

Unless you're beefing up for a future HP/TQ upgrade, I'd recommend rebuilding what you've got and maybe get a hardened set of 28 spline axles. Your 8.8 will most likely outlast several T5s. I plan on reclutching my 8.8 as many times as necessary until it blows up. Once I start tearing it up, then I'll invest in something different. Probably a spool by then.

Here's another recent post relative to this topic. Maybe you'll find some useful info there: http://forums.mustangworks.com/showt...threadid=28050

However, if you're set on upgrading from stock, I'd recommend an Eaton or one of similar design. Something you can rebuild in your garage when the time comes. Even the good ones will where out eventually.

New Slow GT--> under construction

Latest Addition: 95 Cobra R, #73, bone stock, ~6100 miles.
SlowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 11:44 PM   #3
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Basically the reason im planning on it is because i presently work at a shop at which i can get pretty much any driveline part for cheap. I figured i might as well do it while i can get the stuff cheap. Thats why i was thinking of doing something like an auburn pro, 3.27 gears, 31 spline axles. And i might convert to 5 bolt while im at it. But its just an idea right now.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:34 AM   #4
Mustang_289
Registered Member

SlowGT - you mention "unless you're upgrading HP/TQ"

My son and I are building an 88GT weekend warrior with planned HP mods in the future. We've got a stock 8.8 with stock gears. The stock differential needs clutch rebuilding as when you put your foot into it right wheel only leaves burn marks. We are planning on 3.73 gears with our 5-speed, while we've got the cover off, we are thinking about dropping an Eaton in with hardened 31-spline axles. Will this cover us as we upgrade HP and TQ? Any suggestions will be helpfull.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 10:35 PM   #5
SlowGT
Registered Member

Dude, if you've got a hook up for parts, then go for the gusto. Wish I had that kind of luck. I usually find out about the good deals about 3 days too late.

Mustang_289

I've never worked with anything but the stock carrier before. Most of my pals are slower than me. The only one that's faster runs 13.10s @~108mph on street tires and he'd been running a factory carrier up until last month. He got a free Strange spool so we put it in. If I were at the point of needing to upgrade and wasn't going to use a spool, my 1st choice would be a Detroit Locker and my 2nd choice would be an Eaton. I don't have any experience with either of these. I've made my choices purely on what I've seen other cars running and the fact that both of these units are rebuildable. I've been told, but haven't confirmed, that the Auburn carriers must be returned to Auburn for service. Might want to call them and find out if there's any truth to that.

Unless I find an unbeatable deal on parts, I don't usually upgrade until I'm forced to. If you've got a decent place to work on your car, reclutching the factory unit should only take a couple hours start to finish. If you can get it packed tight enough it's almost like having a spool for a while. I scuffed the tires for a several days after I rebuilt mine. Here's another post related to posi units:
http://forums.mustangworks.com/showt...threadid=28050

New Slow GT--> under construction

Latest Addition: 95 Cobra R, #73, bone stock, ~6100 miles.
SlowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 10:48 AM   #6
bigblockcoupe
Registered Member

i would go with the auburn and 31 apline axles and c-clip eliminators and if it's a five speed 3.73's and if it's an auto 4.10's 3.27's are pretty much a waste of money and 3.55's are close to a 3.73 but not quite after building over 25 stangs these are just the basic guidlines i have found to work best i am thinking of trying the new 3.90 gears in a five speed car to see how streetable they are i think 4.10's and a five speed aren't very streetable but 4.10's in an automatic car are great and still perfectly streetable because of the different gear ratios of the trans.
bigblockcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote