MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-06-2001, 02:15 PM   #1
KidNotch4793
Registered Member

Unhappy AARRRGG!!

I was taking my girlfriend home last night when the battery light came on and the volt meter droped like a rock. Luckily there was an exit coming up, so I got off and barely got past the toll booth before it all died. We smelled somthing funny so I poped the hood. I opened the hood to see flames coming from the alternator. My girlfriends quick and calm thinking saved the car. She grabed the Pepsi I was drinking and doused out the flames. When my dad got there we used a tow strap and pulled it into a mall parking lot to sit for the night. It got picked up this morning and was towed to the shop down the street from me. I am hoping its only the alternator, but I have a feeling it could be more of an electrical problem.

------------------
KidNotch4793
1993 LX 5.0 Notchback
Eddlebrock intake,K&N, 70mm,March Underdrive pullies, Jacobson ignition, Borla,3:73's, Kenny Brown Subframe connectors, Hurst shifter, Centerforce, Saleen Wing, Cobra Badges.
KidNotch4793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 03:24 PM   #2
dinomite
The Dude

Dude, that sucks! crazy. Any idea on what happened?
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 05:19 PM   #3
KidNotch4793
Registered Member

Unhappy

No, I'm not sure what happened. I am writing a note to leave the shop with my keys. I hope it's only the alternator which I could replace myself. But if it is more of an electrical problem like a short or something grounding out I'll leave it to the pros.
Old 05-07-2001, 12:38 AM   #4
Coyfish
Registered Member

I had the same problem happen to me a while back. It turned out to be the 3 wire plug shorted itself out. We replaced the plug and wiring and it has worked fine ever since. LOL, the alternator on fire is a heck of thing to see isn't it, lol?
Coyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 06:50 AM   #5
KidNotch4793
Registered Member

Yea, seeing a fire in the engine compartment is a very scary thing. It scared the **** out of me. Luckily my girlfriends quick thinking saved the car.