MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-21-2002, 09:16 PM   #1
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Default Transplanting a 88 to a 65-68?

Sadly i basicalyl crushed my whole front of my msutang and everythign seems to be off till the doors but even then im skeptical so instead of rebuiding hte thing i thougth iw oudl gut it and slavage all my mods.

Basicalyl i want a older msutang form 65-68

I woudl really liekt o use my engine tranny and driveshaft alogn wtih ym rearend as alot of work has bene done to all these pieces and hate to tak ea loss.

I know the 67and 68 actaulyl got wider by 3 inches and longer by 2 i believe.

COudl i actaully use the above parts and put htem into an older mustang along with my front suspension and what not or is this a huge burden?

Im not sure abotu any specs but i woudl assume the fox bodies were actaulyl wider thent eh early 60's

So i though maybe the 67 and 68 woudl accept it easier?

If i didnt use the driveshaft i assume it woudl be a pretty easy install.

I need lots of info on this im sure its bene done before.

Thanks guys

World Windsor Sr.'s, Harland sharpe rockers, 3.73 gears, pulleys, no ac, hurst shifter, 10:1 pistons, BBK full length headers and H-pipe with flows.

Under extensive work for porting and fly cutting to accept my new cam and to match my soon to have systemax intake *DROOL*

Best E.T. 13.20 with edelbrock RPM intake and 70mm TB
vetteeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 11:03 PM   #2
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Have you got a 302 or a 351W? If so this should be a very easy transplant, except the rear axle. Lots of people have put late model powertrains in the early mustangs, and the good part is you have the computer and everything. I don't think the front suspension will swap, but so much stuff already exists for suspension, I wouldn't worry about it. Older mustangs use the older eight and nine inch rear differentials. They are plentiful and of course use leaf springs so the 8.8 is not an easy swap. And you shouldn't have any problems with having a driveshaft fabed for this swap, as I said, windsor small blocks and T5 tranys are a popular swap.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 12:12 AM   #3
joinrdie
Registered Member

Wow, at the risk of being unpopular, I'd like to ask everyone to take a deep breath and relax before typing a post. Then, look over it briefly before submitting it.

The result will be a post that is nice looking and easy to understand. Thanks.

(P.S. What good is a forum without a little ribbing from peers?)

http://www.mach-sr1.org
joinrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 12:16 AM   #4
vetteeatr
Registered Member

damn man your gonna make me cry.....

nah not really i was jsut in some crazy hurry.

I kinda didnt want leaf spring and thought a newer suspension setup would be more benificial.

Any Ideas

World Windsor Sr.'s, Harland sharpe rockers, 3.73 gears, pulleys, no ac, hurst shifter, 10:1 pistons, BBK full length headers and H-pipe with flows.

Under extensive work for porting and fly cutting to accept my new cam and to match my soon to have systemax intake *DROOL*

Old 10-22-2002, 06:43 PM   #5
jwboner
Registered Member

You could use the 8.8 and coil springs in the back but expect to pay a lot and for some major modding. It would be easier to find a 8 or 9 and put in some gears.
A 302 will fit in any of the cars, but watch out when trying to fit a 351 into a 65-66. If the shock towers are leaning in just a little it will be a very tight fit. You will need a new exhaust system with either car or engine.
Your dirive shaft will probably have to be resized, and then it will fit.
It would take MUCH more money and mods to convert the front suspension. Again it would be easier to upgrade it to Total Control's rack&pinion, tubular control arms and so on. Or if feeling creative, go with a mustang II front suspension.
Good luck in all that
65 fastback 347 DFI injected w/vic jr, TFS heads, MSD, cable clutch TKO, 3.70 9", tc subframe conns, custom traction bars, griffen alum radiator, armored fuel cell, and torq thrust D's Retrofitted Prelude seats. Vintage Air underdash kit. Fiberglass here and there too
More on the way all the time.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 09:43 AM   #6
Ron1
Registered Member

I have a 68 FB in need of an engine and transmission...and its for sale...

rfedd@aol.com
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 11:52 AM   #7
hobgoblin351
Registered Member

Hey go with the transplant. You already have everything you need. The engine and trans will drop right in. Did the early stang come with a stick shift or auto trans. You'll need those parts too. Forget about swapping the suspension though. Too much time and money. Go with a 9 inch in the rear, it'll handle anything you can give it.
hobgoblin351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 02:33 PM   #8
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Default What about the mods?

Hey guys I have been pondering actaully going modular motor on this but i know these motors are extremely wide.

Would i be able to fit them in any of these years at all?

As far as i undrstand i htink the 67-68 are actaully a few inches wider.

I believ the 69 and 70 are even wider to acommadate larger engines.

Not quite sure

What about 69 or 70?

Thanks

Old 11-11-2002, 12:46 AM   #9
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Would a 351 fit in a 67 or 68 fairly easily?

I htink they have a larger engine compartment

they are 3 inches wider

Old 11-11-2002, 10:56 AM   #10
thunderbolt
Registered Member

351W will go into 65-68 pretty well, lots of kits for any parts you many need. I know Mustangs Plus sells headers for this.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote