MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-27-2002, 05:37 PM   #1
5.0 Pony
Registered Member

Default AOD to 5 Speed Convo kit???

Hey, I have been thinkin it over, and i know my AOD isn't gonna hold up, (Too much power, hopefully ). And my dad went out and test drove a new Gt and told me how much ffun he had drivin the 5 speed. Also, I really want a speed for other reasons, fun, speed, you know . But, what entails this swap? Is it worth it? or should i just build up my AOD? Does anyone sell a complete kit for the conversion? Also, do i have to swap out computers? Cuz i know you have to have a certain chip for T5 and AOD. PLEASE HELP GUYS! THANKS IN ADVANCE!
-9mm FMS Spark Plug Wires
-Hedmann Headers 2.5" O/R H-Pipe
-Flowmaster 40 series 2.5" Catback
5.0 Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 06:22 PM   #2
Agent_4573
Registered Member

The easiest way to do this is to get a rolling wreck and strip everything from there. Here are the basics, there are more parts to this list, but these are hte most expensive.

tranny, flywheel, bellhousing, pedal assebly, clutch assembly,computer(yes you need a new computer), netrual safety switch.

This is not a good list, but if you search the archives here, there are complete lists of everything you need. You can normally pick up everything off ebay for under a grand. On the issue of built AOD better than t-5, everyone on here has adifferent opinion. I like the t-5 though cuz it lets me feel like i have more control of the car.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 06:35 PM   #3
bigblockcoupe
Registered Member

you can use the same computer it doesn't matter if it's a 5 speed computer or automatic you will need the trans w/ shifter, bell housing, shift fork, flywheel, clutch assembly, 5 speed pedal assembly with quadrant, clutch cable, the neutral safety switch is on an automatic so you will be getting rid of it, there will be a switch on the 5 speed pedal assembly that only lets the car start with the clutch pedal pressed to the floor and the wiring for it will be stuffed up under the dash there are 2 connectors one is black and the other is clear you just unplug the wire loop connectors from them and plug them in it's a pretty easy and straight forward swap I just converted my '89 coupe to a five speed oh 1 more thing on my coupe they ran the speedo cable through the hole where the clutch cable would normally go so I had to pull the gauge cluster and reroute the speedo cable but it was no big deal.
Rice Haters Club member #68

'93 Cobra 10.20@135

'89 Gt Coupe 12.20@115
bigblockcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 07:00 PM   #4
5.0 Pony
Registered Member

Thanks, Mustang parts specialties sells a conversion kit for 1695 w/o a tranny, do u think this would be the way to go, or would it be cheaper, but way more time consuming to get one outta another car? I think it would be easier to just get a kit, they also sell em with a world class tranny or a tremec for 2695. what do u guys think?
Old 10-27-2002, 08:32 PM   #5
bigblockcoupe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblockcoupe
you can use the same computer it doesn't matter if it's a 5 speed computer or automatic you will need the trans w/ shifter, bell housing, shift fork, flywheel, clutch assembly, 5 speed pedal assembly with quadrant, clutch cable, the neutral safety switch is on an automatic so you will be getting rid of it, there will be a switch on the 5 speed pedal assembly that only lets the car start with the clutch pedal pressed to the floor and the wiring for it will be stuffed up under the dash there are 2 connectors one is black and the other is clear you just unplug the wire loop connectors from them and plug them in it's a pretty easy and straight forward swap I just converted my '89 coupe to a five speed oh 1 more thing on my coupe they ran the speedo cable through the hole where the clutch cable would normally go so I had to pull the gauge cluster and reroute the speedo cable but it was no big deal.
holy crap! I didn't realize they went for that much I bought a wrecked '88 GT for $500 and got the whole setup tranny and all with an adjustable cable and billet quadrant plus still had lots of other good parts leftover I would try to find a wrecked car locally that you could get the parts from or buy the whole car there is a little labor involved removing it but it is well worth the $ you will save and when you remove it from the wrecked car you'll know how and where to put it back in your car.

'93 Cobra 10.20@135

'89 Gt Coupe 12.20@115
Old 10-28-2002, 01:50 PM   #6
5.0 Pony
Registered Member

So, if i can get a set-up out of a 5 speed junker, i can just use all the parts, i just need a new pilot bushing and a driveshaft? Will a 4 cyl tranny work?? Or are they weak? Does anyone know where i can find like instructions on how to do it? I really dont wanna screw it up. THANKS GUYS!
Old 10-28-2002, 02:13 PM   #7
Agent_4573
Registered Member

You can use a 4cyl tranny but it was weaker than the 5.0 tranny so you may end up replacing it soon after you put it in, depends on how you drive the car. I believe the input shaft was a bit smaller also, I'm sure someone here will know for sure. All i could find on the web was a tech article on an aod to c4 conversion. I'm sure others can give detailed instructions on a t-5 swap, but this article will give you a basic overview of what your gonna be doing.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 03:25 PM   #8
bigblockcoupe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 Pony
So, if i can get a set-up out of a 5 speed junker, i can just use all the parts, i just need a new pilot bushing and a driveshaft? Will a 4 cyl tranny work?? Or are they weak? Does anyone know where i can find like instructions on how to do it? I really dont wanna screw it up. THANKS GUYS!
you will need the pilot but you can still use the same driveshaft the input shaft on the 4 cyl. trans is smaller but you can have a custom pilot bushing machined to fit the 4 cyl. input shaft the 4cyl t-5 is weaker than the 5.0 t-5 and they have a higher 1st gear ratio but some people like them better.

'93 Cobra 10.20@135

'89 Gt Coupe 12.20@115
Old 11-01-2002, 12:07 AM   #9
5.0 Pony
Registered Member

im gonna post a list of what i think i need, can you guys tell me if there is anything else?