MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-27-2002, 08:16 PM   #1
Scrapla
Registered Member

Default Tranny grinds!

For like a month now my car makes a nasty noise goin into 2nd gear when accelerating fast, when i'm driving normal it shifts fine only when goin fast, I have a 90gt and I just got a new clutch and pressure plate installed and the problem is still there someone please help I need to know if my tranny is on its way out, it doesnt mess up in any other gear.

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 09:47 PM   #2
DemonGT
Registered Member

mine grinds going into 3rd..but if i shift slow it wont...

sounds like the syncro gear in 2nd is out or on its way out..very common for T5's...the syncro gear is like a plastic or rubber peice that stops the gear from spinning while you put it in gear..if it no good the gear spins and when you put it in gear it grinds...thats what iv heard anyway...mabe some one can back this up or correct me if im wrong
'91 GT,410W,10.5 to 1 comp,Victor Jr. heads,Victor 5.8 intake,FTI cam,Crane retro fit lifters,Scorpian 1.6 RR's,Melling HV oil pump,MSD distro.,Canton oil pan,FMS flywheel,Romac balancer,FMS timing chain,Accufab 90mm TB,C&L 76mm maf, 42lbers,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Pro dumps,powerchamber,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Ford Racing gauges,5inch Tach,centerline convo pro's,nitto DR's,Pro3i lower control arms,50/50 shocks,3.55 gears,TFS HD diff. cover

Next year:

Tremec TKO,Spec stage 3 clutch,alum driveshaft,complete fuel system

www.angelfire.com/linux/demondan
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 11:40 AM   #3
Scrapla
Registered Member

The car shifts fine in every gear except goin into 2nd when i'm accelerating faster then usual so I havnt beenr acing or trying to but I wanna know whats causing this before I loose my tranny this is my daily and I need it to get to work, someone please help.

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:15 PM   #4
richd
Registered Member

If you're handy and want to fixit as cheaply as possible you could buy the inner blocker ring for about $15. Replacing it involves partially disassembling the transmission, though. You could also do a full rebuild for ~$180 or have someone like Hanlon Motorsports rebuild the trans for $175 + parts + shipping.

If you want to tackle it yourself feel free to e-mail me directly with questions. I did mine about 2 months ago. I could send you the rebuild manual in PDF format if you like.

FYI...if you decide on a DIY full rebuild you will need access to a shop press to get the bearings off.

Good luck,

Rich D.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:21 PM   #5
Agent_4573
Registered Member

Yeah, your syncros are definately going bad. I don't know how much you know about tranny's but you have a synchro for every gear, except reverse, so it highly likely that one will go bad before the others. Your best bet is get a rebuild kit, there fairly cheap and its worth it. If you keep grinding it, you may end up replacing the gear and that gets expensive.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote