MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-01-2003, 11:01 AM   #1
Coupe Devil

Default FE motor in Fox??

Ok.. have a chance to possibly trade some parts for a complete 68 (NICE) f100 with a 410 merc in it. I was told that this engine is a 390 with a 427 crank??????. I think is what the man told me. Im for sure he said it was a 410 Merc. In this trade I would be keeping a good 302 and small bell c6 tranny, thinking very seriously about trading and swapping the 302 into the 68 model truck and daily driving it and dropping the 410 over into the 86 Notch I bought for a project car. It would definantly be different having a FE motor in a fox. I know of a few here with a big block. I think with a set of SCJ 390 heads and a good cam ( which I have access to both of ) I could have a real hot little ride. Opinons., Concerns and advice requested please

Thanks
Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 09:27 PM   #2
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

I remember some good threads about FE motors some time ago. They are really cool motors. The 410 if I am right has the 427 stroke crank but a smaller bore than a 390. A 390 with the 410 or 427 crank will be a 427.

Iam not sure if it would be a real pain to stuff a FE into a fox body. Sounds like a custom fit job, would be easier to use a 429/460, or a windsor stroker.

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 09:39 PM   #3
HotRoddin
cranky old man

410 is a 390 with a 428 crank not 427

engine bore stroke
390 4.05 3.78
427 4.23 3.78
428 4.13 3.98
410 4.05 3.98

I personally don't think it would be a good swap. Reason being, the FE motors have a ton of torque but they are heavy and big, not to mention they have some oiling issues. They have been out of production for years now and parts are becoming increasingly harder to find, and there isn't nearly as much in the way of aftermarket parts for the FE motors as for the small blocks. That being said, i have a soft spot for the things because my brother has built them since their introduction in 58 (I personally think he knows as much about hot rodding an FE as anybody alive), and they were my introduction to drag racing, in fact it was the only engine i knew for half my life. People tend to laugh them off, but its usually to their downfall ! They dominated nascar for a lot of years, they slaughtered em at sebring and le mans, and they gave everyone hell at the dragstrips off and on for years. Last but not least, i truely believe the best all around racing motor detroit ever built was the SOHC 427, which was nothing but a side oiled 427 FE block with a set of mind boggling all ford built overhead cam hemi heads. They built 500 of them to make them nascar legal, and the mopar and chevy boys instantly began to cry like babies until they were banned. Had they ever been put on one of the super ovals, it would have been pointless for anybody else to even show up.
Ok sorry, memory flashbacks, i'm rambling Bottom line ... probably not a world class swap for a small car, unless you just want to be different ??
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:21 PM   #4
dragstang86
Registered Member

I think a FE swap would be sweet. Personally i love the FE's and have grown up around them. Thats all my dad has run in his dragcar for the past 25 years. They do have some oiling issues when run primarily on the track and making alot of horsepower but those problems can be fixed by a machine shop. The engine he has in the car now is a 390 .075 over with 427 crossbolt mains, modified oil passages, a 427 steel crank, eagle H beam rods, edelbrock ported and polished heads, Dove intake and a healthy cam with alcohol injection. Hes making about 600 to the wheels. It has a c-4 and 4.11 gears with a 32 tall tire behind it. This is in a tube chassis 69 mach 1 that draws alot of attension and was on the cover of Bracket Racing USA in OCT. 1998. Parts are harder to find but they are out there and there are people who specialize in FE's which you can get anything from. Alot of the class racing guys, (ie. stock, super stock) that run these motors and know all the tricks and have anything you need. Sorry for rambling but i think it would be a cool swap.
306, AFR 165's 58cc, E303, 1.6 roller rockers, 70mm throttle body, cobra intake, bbk fenderwell, bbk longtubes, x-pipe, flowmasters, pullies, msd 6a, crane ps-92, stock MAF sensor, electric fan, No AC, No air pump, flaming river quick ratio rack

C-4, 3500 stall, 373's, aluminum driveshaft

SSM Lift bars, , sub frame connectors, strut tower brace

12.57 @105.12mph w/ 1.686 60ft before bbk longtubes (with equal shorties)
-----------------------------------------
86 tube chassis coupe - the trailor queen
dragstang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:46 AM   #5
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Sweet, yeah ... cool, yeah ... heavy, yeah ... expensive, yeah ... logical, no.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:12 AM   #6
Coupe Devil

Well ive decided against the FE motor.. Not going to work out the deal I had planned so its back to the supercharged small block using the short block I have now. Have intake, heads located, working on getting a cam. When I get the heads and the cam I can build a decent NA car to drive and just have to wait until I get the cash to get the blower and a blow through carb. Thanks anyways guys

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote