MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-27-2001, 08:28 PM   #1
GreeceLightning
Registered Member

Question superchargers... which one to get?

Hey, I've been looking through a Summit Racing catalog, expecially at the superchargers. I was thinking this would be my first mod. Which one is the best for the 5.0? As far as price, power increase, and reliability. I see the Vortech is $3k, but for $2k you can buy a Paxton, which claims 340hp and 450 torque... which sounds like enough for me. I believe there's also a PowerDyne, right? Any opinions are appreciated. Also, is it ok to run a blower (at 9psi) on a stock car (as far as bolt-ons, and engine internals)? Thanks.

Angelo

Angelo
GreeceLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 10:17 PM   #2
bada$$lx

Cool

Don't bother getting a blower unless you're gonna be using an intercooler or aftercooler. Heat, obviously will rob your engine of power - pulling down the s/c output tremendously. I've been doing alot of research myself....ATI Procharger looks good, so do the Paxton/Vortech.....except once you add the inter/after-coolers to either of these....the price is over $4k. So far, the ATI looks the best. Also, 9 psi on a stocker might be too much, unless you're not worried about killing your motor (6 psi would be best if you're stock and don't want to harm your engine). Good luck.

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; JMS Chip; 190 lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113)
Old 05-27-2001, 10:44 PM   #3
Brcuda
Registered Member

Talking

You should go with a Kenne Bell. Just bolt it on and have fun. You should start with 6lbs of boost. You will love it.

------------------
Kenne Bell supercharged stang 93LX (the perfect sleeper) Named Wheezer 11.901@117.40 on BFGs/w 1.71 60's
Brcuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 10:51 PM   #4
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Reliability Vortech Hands down. 8-9psi will be fine on your stock motor. Have it tuned by someone that knows what your doing and you'll be fine.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406- TFS Heads, E-303, edelbrock intake,70MM TB, 73mm MAF, off road H, headers and 3chamber flows.
12.55@107mph
Mustang owners get a 15% discount!
www.OJAIPCPROS.com
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 11:00 PM   #5
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Go with powerdyne... at 6 or maybe 9psi. You won't be disapponted.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 11:35 PM   #6
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

I am very happy and pleased with mine. No complaints, perfect sleeper...except for the lope in the idle.

------------------
Dustin
89 GT(Saleen Clone) 392 rwhp UNTUNED(TFS Intake, spacer,Heads and #2 cam, BD-11A 9#(only boosting 6???WTF),1.6 rr's,BBK 70mm TB,FMS 70mm MAF,MSD 6BTM,FMS 9mm wires,BBK longtubes and H-Pipe,American Thunder cat back,3.55 lots more...

12.564@118.49 on street tires is my best so far. Still untuned
SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 12:18 AM   #7
Brcuda
Registered Member

You will be confused after reading all of these suggestions.

------------------
Kenne Bell supercharged stang 93LX (the perfect sleeper) Named Wheezer 11.901@117.40 on BFGs/w 1.70 60's
Brcuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 12:53 AM   #8
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Dont be confused. Lets make this simple.

Vortech- Moderately priced. Basically the standard in blowers, extreamly reliable.

Paxton- Cheaper blower, known for slightly less reliability in the past.

ATI- High priced. Intercooled supercharger setup. Will make more hp w/ less boost as it cools the intake charge. Very reliable.

Powerdyne- Lower priced. Belt driver blower, silent. Yet belts have been known to break under heavy track use. More so in the past then recetly. Moderate-good reliability.

Kennebell- Roots supercharger. Makes boost very low and quick. Will not lead to as much hp in the future if you go with more mods. Good for automatics and heavy cars. I have heard reliability issues and bad customer support on these.

My opinion. Ive been looking at this stuff for some years now and have yet to hear a single complaint w/ the vortech and many with all the other brands except ATI. Ive only heard 2-3 about ati, and that is because they are hard to install. So I say go vortech and be happy and safe.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406- TFS Heads, E-303, edelbrock intake,70MM TB, 73mm MAF, off road H, headers and 3chamber flows.
12.55@107mph
Mustang owners get a 15% discount!
www.OJAIPCPROS.com
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 03:23 AM   #9
Mustanguy

Cool

What is going to be your main purpose of your car street or street/strip?
You gotta first ask yourself what you want the car for,then decide on the particular blower that will suite You, not what john doe says is the best one to buy.

For example:
A kenne Bell equipped car would be killer on the street as they make peak boost @2000 rpm and a ton of torque.You could walk right away from a centrifical blower(Vortech,Paxton,etc) driving on the street because it takes them much longer in the rpm range to get the boost built up.

Just a note about Procharger set-ups.
alot of people have had problems with brackets,resulting in stripped,broken belts.There is a new version of this bracket(P600b bracket-new version)that will eliminate this.

It's a 2 piece billet made bracket which is very much like the one used on the 86-93 D1 blowers.Make sure you are aware of this if you decide to go with this blower.

Me, I went with a Paxton GSS blower.It's a upgraded ball-drive blower basically.Why did I choose this? Because I wanted to be different and show people that you can make these old style blowers run hard.

Take your time in what you decide to buy,it's your money.

------------------

Paxton Blown 87GT
ICQ#91504337
Old 05-28-2001, 09:26 AM   #10
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Sky couldn't have said it any better.

------------------
Dustin
89 GT(Saleen Clone) 392 rwhp UNTUNED(TFS Intake, spacer,Heads and #2 cam, BD-11A 9#(only boosting 6???WTF),1.6 rr's,BBK 70mm TB,FMS 70mm MAF,MSD 6BTM,FMS 9mm wires,BBK longtubes and H-Pipe,American Thunder cat back,3.55 lots more...

12.564@118.49 on street tires is my best so far. Still untuned
SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 10:23 AM   #11
GreeceLightning
Registered Member

Red face

Well yes, I am pretty confused now lol. Every one of you recommend a different supercharger! But that's how it works, you ask 20 people for suggestions, you get 20 different answers. Vortech sounds like a good one, I know they deal with imports too. There are two different S-Series blowers from them. The standard output and the high output. Does that mean the SO is 6psi, and the HO is set at 9? Cause the SO is also $2k, which is a good price. Does anyone have dyno's or ET's to back up any blowers? In the future, I would upgrade the whole exhaust system... btw, what is the stock exhaust diameter? Also, to run 9psi, what needs to be upgraded in the engine? Someone mentioned it was rough on a stock engine. Thanks guys, you are all really helpful.

Angelo
Old 05-28-2001, 12:29 PM   #12
Mach 1
Registered Member

go with the new procharger that doesnt require oil return line into your oil pan. Its priced fairly, and you can add a intercooler later. 9 psi is no problem on stock motor, just watch fuel and timing.

there, that was easy...lol.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 01:19 PM   #13
GreeceLightning
Registered Member

I actually just found a web-site that had the Procharger for sale. They cost about $3100 with an i/c though, and it claimed a 85% gain. That's approx. 346hp at the flywheel. Where does the i/c sit? Is it front or side mount, or somewhere else?

Angelo
Old 05-28-2001, 01:23 PM   #14
GreeceLightning
Registered Member

Wink

My bad, I was WAAAAY off... that calculates to 416hp to the flywheel, that's crazy! Can anyone back this up that's not affiliated with Procharger? Cause if that's true, then it's well worth the money.

Angelo
Old 05-28-2001, 02:27 PM   #15
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I've never heard of reliability issues with the Kenne Belle unit.

Making max boost right off idle, it's the ultimate street blower. It's not technically a "roots" blower. It's a twin screw positive displacement unit. Works pretty much the same way. Some people do not know how badass the Kenne Belle blowers can get. They have one that puts out 20psi and has a 2.2L displacement, rated for up to 2600HP.

BBK/Eaton makes/made a roots style blower for the 5.0. It was 5.0 specific, called the instacharger. It was either 5.0 or Muscle Mustang's and Fast Fords that said the BBK unit was the best quality unit they had ever tested. Ford also offers an SVO supercharger.

I've never heard of any problems with the Vortech either, but on a stock engine, you'll probably never see max boost. It will occur too high in the rpm range to be useful.

Installation: Kenne Belle, ATI, others

Quality: Vortech, ATI, Kenne Belle, Paxton, Powerdyne

Street Power: Kenne Belle, ATI, others

Strip Power: ATI, Vortech, Paxton, Kenne Belle, Powerdyne.

Sleeper: Kenne Belle, Powerdyne

Coolness Factor: ATI, Kenne Belle, Vortech, Paxton, Powerdyne

I've left out the BBK/Eaton Instacharger because I don't think they make it for the 5.0's anymore, and the Ford SVO blower, because quite frankly, I don't know enough about it. I'd be willing to bet it IS the Instacharger, though. Eaton is the OEM supplier of the Thunderbird S/C's charger.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 03:02 PM   #16
GreeceLightning
Registered Member

Well Unit5302, from what you listed, it sounds like the ATI and Kenne Bell are your favorites... how does the Bell compare in price? I can't find prices on-line for them. And ATI is the Procharger kit, correct? Know anything about the claimed 85% power gain?

Angelo
Old 05-28-2001, 05:01 PM   #17
Mach 1
Registered Member

The SVO is the powerdyne, which is garbage. Stick with ATI (procharger), paxton/vortech.

The power gain will depend on how many pounds of boost you run.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 10:29 PM   #18
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Kenne Bell is my favorite. For a few reasons.

#1 No waiting for boost.
#2 Easy install, no tapping into your oil.
#3 Silent killer.
#4 Being Different.
#5 Replaces intake plenum.

The ATI has an intercooler, which is a big part of why it makes so much power. The Kenne Belle blowers are pretty competitive in price. Around 2k for a 6psi kit, 3k for an 8psi kit. I've heard you need to buy some extra's to go with it to make the kit work the best.

I've only done modest research on the blower market though, so I can't really help you much more than the basics.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 10:39 PM   #19
moosejaw
Registered Member

Wink

Hey take a look at my ride in my sig. Certainly you don't have the heads and intake BUT with the same combo and GT 40 heads & intake it made 412 rwhp with dead cylinder and no intercooler.

I talked to Procharger rep at Gateway last week and they told me this blower wouldn't support over 550 Flywheel HP. I am already exceeding that => their equipment is engineered a little better than they are letting on.

Mike

------------------
Live near St.Louis?
Check out Mustang Muscle and Dyno in High Ridge, MO
Check out my ride.

[This message has been edited by moosejaw (edited 05-28-2001).]
moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 10:39 PM   #20
GreeceLightning
Registered Member

Ok, a couple of things... the ATI procharger is also self-lubricating. You are saying that the Kenne Bell is silent, but I have no idea what a supercharger sounds like. Since I have a Nissan 240sx, I've really researched turbo's, and love the sound of those. But they don't make a s/c for my car, so I never looked into them. Is there a way to explain the sound? Also, anyone know how much power the Kenne Bell makes? The 6psi kit and 8psi kit? And imports don't have this, what is the intake plenum? Thanks.

Angelo