MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-11-2001, 01:09 PM   #1
Mike Mileski
Registered Member

Post MAF Sensor Location

On my '91 5.0, I relocated my MAF sensor right up against the plate that bolts to the throttle assembly, totally eliminating the rubber intake hose. When the engine is cold, it runs pretty good, but when it warms up, I get all the symptoms of bad idle bypass valve, malfunctioning TPS and the ten pin connector syndrome. I've checked and replaced all of those, in addition to the coolant temperature sensor, and my problems persist. Now I'm wondering if I've screwed up something by locating the MAF sensor so close to the throttle body assembly. Any opinions or previous experience in this area by anyone?

Mike Mileski
Tucson, AZ
Mike Mileski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 04:01 PM   #2
blueneonman1
Registered Member

Uuuh, yeah. I think that was a bad idea to put the MAF that close to the TB. First, you eliminated the IAT sensor which measures air temp. Next, the MAF consists of two wires inside the sample tube. One of the wires is heated while the other is not. By placing the MAF too close to the hot TB, you may be getting bad readings from the MAF. If you really want a custom intake, take a look at the tutorial on my website. The one on there costed $25 and it gave me .15sec in the 1/4. There is a tech article section on my site below. Good luck.

------------------
Blueneonman - '95 5.0L Mustang GT Convertible | K&N Custom Cold Air Intake | FMS 9mm Wires | Hollow Cats | Flowmaster 2 Chambers | BBK Subframes | 6-pt Rollcage | King Cobra Clutch | FMS Adjustable Clutch Cable | Coolest Neon Lighting on a Mustang EVER!

Homepage: http://www16.brinkster.com/blueneonman/

Best time: 14.578 @96.20mph
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 04:22 PM   #3
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Yeah there is a lot of research that goes into the placement of the sensor. The hot air and turbulance the meter is seeing now is why you have problems, move it back to the stock location. Just curious why did you move it?

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon! FIRST TIME OUT 12.16@111 WHEELS-UP
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 11:10 PM   #4
Mike Mileski
Registered Member

Yeah, now I know it was a dumb idea to eliminate the rubber tube. I relocated it and made a little custome filter using a paper element. I thought it would look a little cleaner, simpler and different. I already put it back to stock and it seems to be okay. I guess I'll go the K&N route. I should have realized that they made it that way for a reason. Thanks for the reply.

Mike Mileski
Tucson, AZ
Mike Mileski is offline   Reply With Quote