MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-24-2003, 07:41 AM   #1
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Default Single Flange Headers

I'm a little disapointed with summit's sales guys... I called and asked what my options were for shorties with a single peice flange and they didnt realy understand what I was talking about and then went on to say "oh yeah,. they all have a single peice flange" wich I know is not the case....

so with that... Ive seen the BBK EQUAL shorties with the single peice, it specificaly says so on thier website... though I wanted to know who makes a single flange UNEQUAL shorty and if you had some part numbers or something...

I have set of individual flange BBKs and I dont even want to try to install them, I know they dont line up.... I matched them to my heads before I put the heads in, so I just stayed with the stock headers.... they still lined up... it's just going to be an ordeal, I can see it allready... i can pick up a set of chrome BBKs for 159 bucks, that's pretty cheap... but as long as they have the single flange...

-as
Old 06-24-2003, 09:36 AM   #2
glenn95gt
Registered Member

Flowtech, JBA, Bassani, FMS, all have single flange.
My Car
glenn95gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:27 AM   #3
BigEd
Registered Member

Chunky,
I just got a set of BBK chrome equal length with the one piece flange for my 94 and they wont work. The header flange ports are wrong. They wont seal at the bottom of my exhaust ports. The header flange opening extends too far down and actually extends past the outside edge of the head port.

Has any body else run into this problem?
Old 06-24-2003, 10:37 AM   #4
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

hmmm... I notcied the FMS ones had the single.. but they are expensive.. I was hoping for a cheap set.. I was seeing that the BBK has un-equals .. I figured I'd try them... they are cheap money at 159 for chromes... I have a broken stud on my stock headers, I figured if I'm going to pull them anyway might as well replace them with new headers... I'm not really concerned with looks so I dont care if the chrome discolors... and they cant be any hotter then the stock pipes.. so I figured I'd go the cheap route and spend the big money on something that's going to help performance... rather then the "hypothetical 8-10" the header comapnies claim
-as
Old 06-25-2003, 07:32 AM   #5
Dark Knight
Registered Member

I have the BBK unequal length shorties... no probs at all.. ceramic coated, solid flange..
13.58@102.84 and a '68 stang .. project 8 sec street car... 557 big block + N20 :-)
http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:07 AM   #6
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Same here. BBK unequal length single piece flange. Work well. Some minor finishing problems with the chrome and some rust at the welds when I received them. Now, they're mostly still chrome...blued from heat of course and some rust on several of the primaries, but what the hey...they're headers. Can't expect too much out of 'em for the price I paid.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 10:36 AM   #7
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I have the BBK 1 5/8's equal length headers and they work great I have ran them for 2 years with no problems. They have the one piece flange.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 12:02 PM   #8
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I ordered the chrome UNEQUALS, everyone says the equals just get in the way too much... so with that I'll eat the 2 horsepower difference they give you for the sake of ease of service.. thanx guys
-as
Old 06-25-2003, 12:47 PM   #9
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Thats all a myth man my equal length headers are not in the way at all. It is still easy to change the plugs and they look cool.

The only downside I can find is the equals do produse alot of heat under the hood.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote