MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-08-2003, 08:59 PM   #1
bry
Registered Member

Default G-Force T-5

Has anybody had any experience with G-Force's Dog ring T-5??? I'm sick of breaking T-5's and I just broke my 3650. I do not want to switch to a C-4 the track I race at is 120 miles away I need overdrive.
bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 11:44 PM   #2
byrnech
Registered Member

I don't think the dog ring G-force is all that streetable. Don't get me wrong you can drive it but you can't really downshift, and the gear whine is a bit much since the gears are "face gears" and not helical cut gears. Is this a drag only car or mostly street car? Thier synchro version of G-force is rated at something like 600hp. That should do the trick. I am thinking of getting one soon.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:42 AM   #3
88workcar
Registered Member

Cool

What broke on the 3650? You may not have tranny trouble you may have somthing else causing premature failure in your trannys.
To be old and wise, You must first be young and stupid I'm somewhere in tthe middle.
88workcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 10:09 AM   #4
b055
Registered Member

c4, high stall, and 3.27 gears.. it'll still be streetable.. just invest in a big tranny cooler. the high stalls have a tendency to heat up.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:35 AM   #5
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

I'm heavily looking into getting the synchronized g-force kit for my car. I've heard a ton of good things about it.

I talked to Rick Anderson at his customer appreciation day about it, and he said it is absoluetely awesome. Brian Meyer has ran it in his bumper draggin Real Street car without a problem, so I'd say its got plenty of torque capability.

Steve Moberly (owner of the PS Evil Twin driven by Darrin Hendricks) also says he's very impressed with it, and will be using it in their mid 10second car next season.

I won't be able to afford one for another year or so, so let me know how you like it if you go with one. I can imagine you will love it
Old 10-10-2003, 09:41 PM   #6
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Might also consider an X2C Motorsports Tremec. They do good tranny work. http://www.x2cmotorsports.com/tranny_shop.shtml

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 11:34 AM   #7
bry
Registered Member

I broke third gear, it had about three teeth sheared off on my tremec. My T-5's the shifting forks and first gear kept failing. I don't understand why. My car is pretty mild. Its a 87' LX coupe with a stock shortblock, AFR 185 heads, TFS intake(street heat),and a 150 shot of juice. I use a centerforce Dual friction,4.
10 gears on a moser spool, and BFG Drag Radials. My car only ways 2400LBS. I can't figure out why I have so many tranny problems. Any help is very welcome. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:43 PM   #8
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Torque and traction kill trannies. Sounds to me like you have a fair bit of both.

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 06:47 PM   #9
Simi Stang

Default WOW

Quote:
Originally posted by bry
My car only ways 2400LBS.
2400lbs.?! That's pretty darn light! I know it's a coupe...but what all did you do to get it down that low? I have my '90GT down to about 2900lbs. But my car still sees weekend street duty so I don't want to strip the entire thing. Any tips?
Old 10-13-2003, 10:31 PM   #10
bry
Registered Member

I took out everything that i did not need to drive the car. I have almost no interior I removed all interior panels, carpet, sound deading material, rear seat, console, everything in the trunk, A/C, heater core and the brake booster. My car did not have tilt, power door locks or power windows. I put in a manual steering rack, fiberglass deck lid, hood, tubular k-member and a arms, aluiminum radiator, aluminum drive shaft, aluminum heads, electric water pump, electric fan, weld wheels, Aerospace brakes, and we also cut out some of the steel bracing on the interior. instead of spending a lot of money on the engine I spent what I had on light parts and getting rid of EVERTHING that you do not need to make the car work on the street. I do not drive this car everyday I have a 96' Cobra that is my everyday car. I just wanted to make my LX a fun car. It is fun to race but loud and boring to drive and you need good weather with no heat or A/C I would only recomend doing this if you have another car to drive. The weight does not include me in the car. Now if i can just get a transmission to hold up.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:52 PM   #11
Simi Stang

Default light stang

Wow...that is one stripped stang. I have a '00 F-150 for my daily driver and to pull the stang to the track. But I still like to drive the Mustang on the weekends. I've removed most of the sound deadening, A/C, that boat anchor that hangs off the rearend, fiberglass hood, alum. heads, Welds for the track. I've gotten to the point where I don't want to remove anything else, as I don't want to take away anymore streetability out of the car. Mine is already a rattle trap. I need to stick a stereo back in it so I can turn it up to drowned out the other rattles.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:31 AM   #12
richd
Registered Member

The phrase 'rattle trap' got me thinking....

I knew this Camaro guy a while back who referred to other cars as rat traps or dog boxes. I didn't know much about performance back then so I didn't know what he meant.

I still can't figure it out (don't remember anything about the cars he referred to)...anybody know what they mean?
richd is offline   Reply With Quote