MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-10-2003, 07:54 AM   #1
rmueller
Registered Member

Question Overheating problem

Got a problem on my 94 GT Mustang. Bought this car a few months ago with a crunched front end so I replaced the front end including the radiator, AC condenser, etc... everyting is great except that it is overheating. Everyting related to the colling system has been replaced with brand new. Radiator, Water Pump, thermostat, hoses and even the overflow tank. But the temp guage goes up to just over 3/4 but not in the red zone. The engine gets hot because when I open the hood , it feels hotter than normal.

It has new fluid in it with the right mixture so the only thing I can think of is perhaps an airlock inside the motor or something.

Any ideas?????????????????
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 12:52 PM   #2
USMC302
Registered Member

When everything was installed, extra steps should be taken to ensure that air is out of the system. Also, what temp thermostat did you put in? Did you replace the electric fan when everything was replaced? Ensure the fan is turning on at the right temp if at all, that is a big factor in the cooling process.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:59 PM   #3
Rosco
Registered Member

What kind of temperature does your area usually stay at? Another fix for running cooler is running straight water. It doesn't keep as much heat as anti-freeze does.
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 07:45 PM   #4
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

I would agree with air being in the system.

Park your car on a decent incline. Take off cap and squeze the lower hose a bit, fill. Fire it up, cap off, and fill. May have to repeat a couple of times.

When installing a new thermostat. I always drill two small holes on either side of the bridge of the stat, equal space between the edge and center. This lets air through when the stat ain't opened yet.
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:48 AM   #5
rmueller
Registered Member

Ok, I going to confess, I'm an idiot. by the way, great suggestions from everyone, good info to keep in the databanks.

So here's waht the problem was. When I put the front end back together, the original fan was demolished so I installed an after market fan (original costs $190.00) and stupid me, wired the fan backwards so it was blowing into the radiator. Sometimes we miss the most obvious. Really, I do know a few things about cars. That was about the best I've done in the stupee department though.

Oh, and the temp guage is dead center now.
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote