MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-24-2001, 05:37 PM   #1
wah42251
Registered Member

Post Starting problem

I have a 88 5.0 convertible and am having trouble starting the car. I've had the starter, battery and alternator tested, and all are in good working order. If I have the car jump started, it turns right over. As soon as I turn the car off, I have to wait 20 to 30 minutes before I can start the car again, but only after a lot of hesitation. Yesterday I had a loose battery terminal changed, and the car ran fine for the day, but this morning it was back to same problems. It almost seems that there is an open drain on the battery somewhere. (I don't know if this is related, but in January the display light on the radio (factory installed) went out. It came back on a few weeks ago. The last two times I used the radio, it appeared to have shut down while the car was off, I had to reset it twice in on day. I have the radio turned off and haven't used it in a week)

I would appreciate any help or opinions. Thanks.

------------------
Wendy
wah42251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 08:24 PM   #2
Paluka21
Registered Member

Wendy,
might wanna check for a dead cell in the battery. Sometimes even if you have the battery tested, it wont show up a dead cell. Take it to a battery place specific for batteries, tell them you want them to test to see if there is a dead cell.
Obviously this problem has to do w/ your charging system. Also, check your trunk light to make sure its not on, as in draining..sometimes small things like this happen.
later
Dan
95 rio red cobra#2021
Paluka21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 09:30 PM   #3
wah42251
Registered Member

Dan,thanks for the advice, I'll have the battery tested again. It's funny that you mention the truck light because that did cause a problem a few years ago, but it took 3 days before the car wouldn't start.
Thanks again

------------------
Wendy
Old 06-25-2001, 10:32 PM   #4
BrentK7
Registered Member

sounds like a dead cell to me as well. My dad just changed out a battery i his car yesturday and it was doing ALMOST THE EXACT SAME THING AS YOU DESCRIBED. It wouldn't hardley turn over in the morning.

Make sure you tell us what the problem was when you get it figured out.

------------------
-Brent "BrentK7" Keltner
BrentK7@Gamershome.com
ICQ# 5413021
-End of Line-
BrentK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 09:01 PM   #5
wah42251
Registered Member

Cool

Dan, we took your advice and brought the battery to a pro shop and it was a dead cell...and we haven't had a problem since. Thanks for the advice.

Got any ideas on where I can have a new top made? I'm looking to buy another Mustang but want to keep this one too, but the top will need replacing.