MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-12-2004, 04:54 AM   #1
ciara
Registered Member

Question Does a 500hp strip only car need open headers or exhaust

My car put out about 500 hp. Should I be running open headers or put on a race muffler or just extensions. I have heard people talking about how the engine runs better with back pressure. Just wandering what everybody else does.
ciara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 08:53 AM   #2
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: Does a 500hp strip only car need open headers or exhaust

Quote:
Originally posted by ciara
My car put out about 500 hp. Should I be running open headers or put on a race muffler or just extensions. I have heard people talking about how the engine runs better with back pressure. Just wandering what everybody else does.
I am putting out a legit 550+ H.P @ flywheel and was told by Kook and Dr.gas that I would make more mid-range power with a 3.5 inch to 3 inch X-pipe with mufflers without lossing any top-end. They also went and said that all cars would benefit up to the point of a 5 inch exhust!

It's your call, if it's with in your budget then go for it. At least you won't be pissing off your neighbors as much .
On the other hand,.....open headers do sound good too!
Later
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:09 AM   #3
ciara
Registered Member

My headers have 3 inch collectors. So if I ran an x pipe into some sort of race muffler it would help my track times? What type of muffler are people using?
ciara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:58 AM   #4
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ciara
My headers have 3 inch collectors. So if I ran an x pipe into some sort of race muffler it would help my track times? What type of muffler are people using?
What size headers are you running (primaries) ?

On something that is making around 500 or more, I would put on a 3 inch muffler. What type of muffler is really up to you. Its really an opinion, its all in what taste you have.

Example:

A Flowmaster will tend to make the car seem meaner then it really is. A lot of people want that. It is also a very poplar muffler because they sound good.

Another good muffler is the Dynomax race mufflers (bullets or ultra flows)

I personnaly like the Spin Tech Mufflers. They have a unique sound but still tough. I also picked one there quitest one the sportmans xl.
Dont get me wrong, with these mufflers I have mention your car will not be quiet. It will not be as loud as open headers but still loud.
This is a very short list of what is out there, and I am sure there will be more added to the list as the day goes on by other people. You can also download sound clips from the manufacture.
Good Luck
Old 01-12-2004, 11:41 AM   #5
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Lots of guys run Dynomax Bullets without ANY loss in power...and a huge reduction in noise (good for your ears, and spectators' ears!). Even heard of guys running 3 of them on each side welded together again with minimal losses in power, but a LOT quieter sound! Cool stuff.
From what I've seen, you almost NEVER pick up peak HP and torque by running exhaust...
Header tuning for scavenging is more important IMO than exhaust. It also has a lot to do with your camshaft and if scavenging will actually help you much.

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:05 PM   #6
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jonnyk

From what I've seen, you almost NEVER pick up peak HP and torque by running exhaust...
You know, I have never seen it myself but some dealers claim it. Not that I see how. But having an exhust does indeed help out the mid-range torque.
Open headers sound cool, but I like to hear whats going on with the engine and stuff, and not hearing that ringing in your ear is also a plus!

The best thing I saw was a car at Boilingreen,Ky (?) (it was a shootout) And this super quiet car did this mild burn-out on 10.5inch tires and then laid down this 8sec pass.!!! lol Then everybody around was like WTF just happened?!!! Thats cool to me.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:17 PM   #7
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Quote:
Originally posted by 420nitro
You know, I have never seen it myself but some dealers claim it. Not that I see how. But having an exhust does indeed help out the mid-range torque.
Open headers sound cool, but I like to hear whats going on with the engine and stuff, and not hearing that ringing in your ear is also a plus!

The best thing I saw was a car at Boilingreen,Ky (?) (it was a shootout) And this super quiet car did this mild burn-out on 10.5inch tires and then laid down this 8sec pass.!!! lol Then everybody around was like WTF just happened?!!! Thats cool to me.
I totally agree. We had a twin turbo GM car lay down an 8 second pass and you could barely hear anything (other than the turbos). I love that! You'd never know what hit you and I didn't in the stands

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
420nitro
Registered Member

Sorry if this takes away from the forum but, isn't the most irrating thing when you see a tubbed car with wheelly bars pull up to the front (open headers no less) trying to act all big and bad, then blows off a low 12 pass. on spray????!!!!
Old 01-13-2004, 08:46 AM   #9
429mustang
Registered Member

That sucks. Hey, do the spintechs sound similar to flowmasters? I listened to a few sound clips and thought they sounded close, but I've never heard them in person.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:09 AM   #10
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 429mustang
Hey, do the spintechs sound similar to flowmasters? I listened to a few sound clips and thought they sounded close, but I've never heard them in person.
I think its the sound clip. I listen to it myself, and agree with what you are saying. The car does have that similar tinsy sound but over all its still different. The best thing I can say is look up one of there dealers and see if one is close to you. Go there and listen to one of there cars.
The best way I can explain it is:
You know when they do a remake on an old song?
It sounds the same, but a different with a new beat....?
Hope this helps without confusing you
Old 01-13-2004, 01:21 PM   #11
429mustang
Registered Member

Do they sound pretty smooth/hollow? I don't really like the sound of magnaflows, they seem to sound kind of like cherry bombs how they have that crackle sound. I'd rather have something more similar to flowmasters that sound nice and deep/hollow. I'll see if there;s a dealer around me (columbus, OH).
Old 01-13-2004, 02:57 PM   #12
PWR_RYD93
Registered Member

At ~500HP a pair of 3" race mufflers WILL NOT hurt your power noticably. I like the Dynomax Ultraflows. They're still pretty loud (especially with dumps), but not as obnoxious as open headers. That's what I run at the track. For street cruising, I bolt up my Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. Am I losing peak horsepower? You bet! But how often do I need 600+ HP on the street?

To me, a car with open headers at the track better be running single digit 1/4 mile times... otherwise it's just lame. My local track has been pushing for every car to run mufflers, even the rails. I personally like the idea.
Then I went to the doctor.... whoa 312! Hello Lipitor
PWR_RYD93 is offline   Reply With Quote