MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-20-2004, 04:31 PM   #1
Mustang_289
Registered Member

Default Really need help major problem

My son put on a set of AFR165 heads, Typhoon Intake and B303 CAM. Before the work car was running fine, compression was about 130-135 on each cylinder.

Here's the problem - after the H/I/C was installed, car is running like crap, ran compression check and all cylinders were in the 150-160 except #2 which was reading a big fat 0 compression. Cranked the motor with the plug still out, and saw major oil in the cylinder. Also pulled the dipstick and smelled gas in the oil.

Do you guys think it's rings? With the car running fine before the work and pretty good compression - how could the rings go bad during the H/I/C upgrade as the car hasn't been on the street since the work began.

Would either the intake or exhause valve not closing all the way - due to incorrect adjustment cause the oil in the cylinder and gas smell in the oil?

Any help will really be appreciated on this one.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:08 PM   #2
SilverSN95
Registered Member

Could it be an incorrectly installed or damaged head gasket?? Wouldn't it be either the rings, valves or head gasket if it doesn't hold compression? The rings shouldn't have been touched in the work that was performed on the engine but the valves and gasket were.

Thats all I can think of...
STEEDA TRI-AX Shifter
MAC pulleys
SilverSN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Sounds to me like the intake valve is not seating properly. I would definitely pull the cover and check the adjustment. Did he put the cam in at zero or did he degree it? What about the lifters? New or old? Yes, it still could be the head gasket. If you end up taking all this back off, look at the intake gasket too.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
stang_racer20
Registered Member

How well was the deck cleaned up before installing the heads and what was used to do it? Also are those AFR's brand new? If so I dought its a valve guide unless they were taken apart since. I also agree there's almost no way its the rings. You didnt touch em at all so they would not start leaking after doing that work. My vote defintely goes for head gasket and/or improper head bolt torque.

The gas in your oil is probably just from continuously cranking it over. Did you pull the fuel pump relay, as well as the coil wire, when checking compression?
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:24 PM   #5
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Valve...

No compression at all means a bad valve setup to me. Either poor adjustment or a collapsed lifter.
If you had low compression, I'd say rings. But NO compression, got to be a poor valve seat/adjustment at least. The stuff in the cylinder is just fuel and a little oil.

I would absolutely verify the valve adjustments by taking the intake manifold off and watching the lifters. Make sure you prime the oil pump so the lifters are pumped up and you set the valves right.
I just did this three times a month ago. I hand cranked the motor over and went down the firing order. Then, cranked it over and made sure it all made sense.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:57 PM   #6
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I guarantee you have the rockers on that cylinder set too tight.

Readjust the rockers and check compression again.

Do it!
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:07 PM   #7
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Quote:
I hand cranked the motor over and went down the firing order. Then, cranked it over and made sure it all made sense.
That is what I do. It takes longer but serves for a better piece of mind.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:33 PM   #8
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Yep, it takes a bit longer but hand crank the motor over and reset your valves according to the firing order (13726548). If you want to be dead balls on, forget about all the shortcuts and do it the right way. I've actually had the rocker adjustment so far outta whack that the car quit running when the hyd. lifters got pumped up. Almost 100% positive that's your problem. If you know someone with a set of oil defelctors, yank the valve cover, snap on the deflectors, fire that mother up and adjust the rockers. That's even better.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:52 AM   #9
Mustang_289
Registered Member

Thanx everyone for the great responses to this thread!

Don't want to rule out the head gasket, my son installed the heads while I was traveling and he used gasket sealer on the Felpro gaskets. Took the heads back off and cleaned the gaskets with solvent to remove all the gasket sealer.

We've got new lifters and pushrods stock, AFR heads are brand new.

I'm a little fuzzy on adjusting the rockers, I know this is a hydrolic setup. I remember from my old mustang days, you set #1 at TDC and you can adjust certain rockers/valves, keep rotating the crank in 90 degrees at a time till all rockers are done.

We've got oil reflectors, how do you adjust the rockers with the motor running?
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 04:52 PM   #10
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Default Lifters on running engine

At an IDLE, back of one lifter at a time. Tighten it just enough to quiet it down, then maybe like 1/8th of a turn more. Make sure you have good oil pressure and that the lifters are pumped up.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 07:39 PM   #11
420nitro
Registered Member

420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 07:41 PM   #12
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ~The Jester~
Yep, it takes a bit longer but hand crank the motor over and reset your valves according to the firing order (13726548). If you want to be dead balls on, forget about all the shortcuts and do it the right way. I've actually had the rocker adjustment so far outta whack that the car quit running when the hyd. lifters got pumped up. Almost 100% positive that's your problem. If you know someone with a set of oil defelctors, yank the valve cover, snap on the deflectors, fire that mother up and adjust the rockers. That's even better.
Right on the $$$$!

Listen to him.
My .02's
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote