MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-02-2004, 03:10 PM   #1
pepe_la_pew15
Registered Member

Default 89LX and stereo wires...what color goes to what?!?!

I am extremely confused..I want to install my aftermarket deck..and I don't know what wire colors go to what?! Does anybody know the stock radio wiring of the late 80's fox body mustangs??

I am starting to get frustrated..and I am thinking about rippin out the wires, and doing it all over again by myself...Does anyone have any suggestions??

If i was to install brand new wiring by myself..where would I put the power and ignition wires?? the power would directly connect to the battery...rite? and where would the ignition wire connect to?? somewhere in the fuse box?

thanks for any help!!
pepe_la_pew15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:39 PM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Go to Wal-Mart. Buy the $7.00 radio install kit. Spend the 5 minutes to put it in. Boom.....your done.

Peice of cake

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:23 AM   #3
Rosco
Registered Member

What wires are you trying to find out what to connect to? The Black Solid is Ground, the Red Solid is Ignition, and the Yellow Solid is a constant power source. Not sure what else you are looking for?
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 02:56 PM   #4
pepe_la_pew15
Registered Member

the thing is...I tested every wire with a light and a source to ground..and NO WIRE completed that circuit and made the light turn on..but when i connected it to the battery terminals..the light turned on perfectly...WTF??!! so that means there is some sort of "break" in the system?? can't I JUST run 2 new wires...

1 power - hook it STRAIGHT to the battery???
1 ignition - find the STEREO fuse and wire it to the back of the panel???

anybody..thanks..but a simple "just buy a harness" won't cut it for me..because the current wiring is crap..and faulty..and I HAVE to do it over again...
pepe_la_pew15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:04 AM   #5
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Well if you have to run all new wiring this is how to do it and make it easy on yourself.

First of all break out your number one best buddy, your multi-meter.

Find a power sorce in the fuse box that is on all the time. Weither the key is on or off. Splice into that and run the wire to the Memory wire on your aftermarket deck. It will mostly likely be yellow.

Next find a power source in the fuse box that is only hot when the ignition key is either in the "run" position or the "accessory" position. Wire this into your red power wire on the deck.

Find a suitable ground and ground the deck.

Now this is where a good multi-meter comes in. Of that big mass of wires either 8 or 12 (depending on weither or not you've got the 6 speaker "premium" sound option) of those wires go to the speakers. Set the multi-meter to test for contanuity and start probeing the wires. When you get a tone from the multi-meter, those are the two wires to a speaker. Fade the deck all the way to the front and to the right. Wire the speaker into the deck in the "front right" postion and see which speaker the wires go to. Once you've determined which speaker the wires go to, wire them to the appropriate wires on the deck.

Then your ready to listen to some tunes

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote