MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-06-2004, 10:31 AM   #1
Fried One
Registered Member

Default 180 deg or 192 deg thermostate....

Hello Guys,
I'm running a 180 deg thermostate in my 92 lx. I do believe that this tricks the computer to run a little richer. My car is quite heavy on fuel. I was wondering if it would be better to replace the thermostate with the stock 192 deg one. I am thinking that the little bit of performance gain if any is not worth the extra fuel usage. Also would it not drive better with the 192 deg thermostate. My motor is mostly stock with a few power adders.
Basically no internal engine work. Full exhaust , headers, cold air induction. Bigger rad. Also running regular gas with stock timimg. What are your thought on this.
Fried One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:07 PM   #2
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

i would use the 192 t-stat and it will run a little better. i would also keep using 87 octane, but disconnect the sput connector and bump the timing up till u hear pinging, then turn it down a degree or two. u will probally end up bumping up the timing to around 14*. also, if you really want accurate readings, go with aftermarket gauges, those stockers suck balls. if want to stay w/ stock, change the 2 sending units at the very least. good luck.
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 03:36 PM   #3
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

The difference between the two wouldn't be worth it.. if you running rich, check your fuel pressure and 02 sensors.. The 180 rather than the 192 won't cause the system to run in cold mode. a 160 will have it run in cold mode, the 180 wont. How do u know that its running rich? what do you plugs look like? if there amber or white then your running just fine.. if there fowled and black then there not.
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 03:24 PM   #4
PKRWUD

I agree, word for word, with GhettoPop.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote