MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-22-2004, 06:38 PM   #1
blue50lx
Registered Member

Default Automatic Transmission..

Which auto trans is better? c4 or aod? I'm buying an 86 roller that is setup for an automatic, the guy said it was already setup for a c4 but I would like to put the more stronger and reliable trans in there so I won't have to worry about having to pull it out later because of something breaking. any help would be apreciated along with maybe some help on good shift kits & stall converters and any other things that I would need to add to the trans to make it more of a drag racing/street performance transmission...

thanks
Old 09-22-2004, 07:40 PM   #2
420nitro
Registered Member

It's really up to you. There are companies out there that can make either one of those transmission handle 800+ horsepower. Anything more then that, then you might want to consider a totally different approach.
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

If its going to be a daily driver, or a car for road trips, AOD is the way to go.

Anything else C4 C6.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:32 PM   #4
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangII460
If its going to be a daily driver, or a car for road trips, AOD is the way to go.

Anything else C4 C6.
Exactly what he said, you can get a AOD that will chip 1'st 2nd' and 3rd without no problems.. as a matter of fact I have a buddy selling his aod biuld 23K orginal miles that chirpes them all. i think he wanted 500 bucks complete with converter and shifter assembly.. let me know!
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:12 AM   #5
crazypete
Registered Member

The AOD lets you get away with using more agressive rear end gears (much more agressive) which translates to better performance. If you opt for conservative gearing, you will end up with much much better gas milage. Here's the calculator I used to figure out my gearing and tranny:

http://www.4x4cyberstore.com/website/rpmchart.html

As for mods, I recommend a 3K stall at least (lockup) and get a lentech valvebody. One of their valvebodies allows 3rd to operate in non lockup mode so you get torque multiplication in 3rd as well and locks up in OD (strip terminator?). It'll run you 500-600 bucks. The transgo aod hp is ok, I have one. That'll run you 70 bucks.

For durability, kevlar bands and a hardened lockup shaft are a nice addition and I recommend an A or A+ servo to extend the OD bands life. Make sure the TV cable is adjusted properly or your AOD wont last.

Good luck!
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:04 PM   #6
rwhite65
Ride Hard

I really like my Bauman shift kit and agree with what they have told you.....I would nt recommend much over 3,000 stall though if it is gonna be a daily driver at all.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 01:12 PM   #7
crazypete
Registered Member

I dont know......I might have gone with a 3500 if I had to do it over again. The 3K is nice but I'm thinking that maybe a few hundred extra rpms exploding out of a stoplight would be nice. I had the 2k stall before and that was a dog. Stay stock or go with the 3k. Dont waste money on a 2k, you wont have that seat of the pants "darn, that was money well spent" feeling about it.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
Old 09-23-2004, 01:31 PM   #8
rwhite65
Ride Hard

I think a lot of it depends on the brand and quality of T. C. u buy. I had a B&M....2000 stall or so...could not tell any difference from the stocker...and I broke it to top things off.

I am just trying to help him avoid heat issues associated with the higher stalls. With the 2800 I have now, u definately know u have a stall....yet my cars ability to cool is very good...but I do have a tranny cooler-and the auto coooler also in the radiator. Transmission has never went over 175 this year.....but I have not driven it in a traffic jam either.

The other point to remember..is the more we modify our cars...that stall is going to keep creepin higher. Might be nice at first, but then we are going to be looking at traction issues sooner or later.

Crazypete-
This is off the subject....but just out of curiosity..have u had ur car at the track??...what numbers did u put out??.....our combos are fairly similar....but I am not gonna be able to make it to the track this season.
Ryan

Old 09-23-2004, 02:00 PM   #9
crazypete
Registered Member

Alas.... My stang has never set foot on the track due to a few minor issues such as having to replace all my fuel hose with fuel line and adding a cutoff to the trunkmounted battery and enclosing it in a box.

I'm sitting here going.....

To hell with it. I'm just fine and happy the way things are and I wont fix things that arent broken so I can visit the track. I'm perfectly happy kicking hondas and vw golfs around out here on the street. But my absolute wild guess is that I'd break into the 13's somewhere.

As for heat issues, there's some fellow on ebay selling tru-cool coolers rated at 28,000 gvw. I had 2 of these inline and the transmission was like ice cold. 1 of these keeps it at 150 degrees solid (it has a bypass that is temp regulated). They're like 70 bucks and 90 for a transgo kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33727

I bought most of my aod stuff from him and a bunch from performance automotive.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/AOD.htm

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2004, 07:41 PM   #10
blue50lx
Registered Member

I won't be using the car for a daily driver, It will be used for racing (street/drag strip) So in that case some of you said that if I were going to race then go with the c4 setup.. So that is what I will most likely do. I was looking around in a couple catalogs today and found a c4 in my Jegs catalog..

- C4 Transmission
Competition
Handles up to 750 hp. Combines the latest in fluid technology and track proven durability to handle round after round of punishing use. Features red racing clutches, Kevlar band, reverse manual valve body, deep aluminum pan and pro shift servo. Case fill trans
$1257.99

or there was the Super Comp that handles up to 1000 hp and has everything the Competition has plus Hardened input shaft, pro pump, full manual valve body, & a rollerized power planetary.
That one was priced at $1724.99
Old 09-24-2004, 07:27 AM   #11
420nitro
Registered Member

Ok,...if you are looking into the PA transmission thats inside the Jegs Cat. then get the Super Comp C-4 because it has a full lifetime warranty. Otherwise I would go with Dynamic racing Transmission located in Conn.
Later
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 07:56 AM   #12
crazypete
Registered Member

If streetabilty is not a problem then c4 definatley. You'll appreciate the vacuum modulator that doesnt require maintenence like the TV cable on the AOD does. Also I _think_ the c4 is smaller and lighter.

Good luck
Old 09-24-2004, 08:30 AM   #13
rwhite65
Ride Hard

I also vote c-4 if it is not going to see a lot of street time.
Ryan