MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-30-2005, 02:07 AM   #1
schwindty82
Registered Member

Default Tuning Issues, I am out of ideas

Hey everyone I broke down today and pulled some codes from my system to figure out what the hell is going on with my car I was getting way to frusterated with trail and error tuning. The codes broke down liek this:

Key On Engine Off:
34-C
24-O
21-O
11-O

Key on Engine On

Says 8 Cyl
13-A
12-A
21-A
22-A
41-A
91-A
33-A
13-A

Ok there we have it thats all the codes I got today, I had to come in it was getting dark out and I am fixing my sea doo in my garage soo I couldt run it in there. I bought new plugs, fuel filter, plug wires, and I have to get my 02 sensors done ASAP I know they have problems with them. What I am trying to ask is how are these codes making my car gutless and idle liek ****.
Edelbrock Performer Heads and Intake, Fuel Pressure Reg, 1.7 Roller Rockers, 190 fuel pump, 24lb injectors, 3:73 gears, AC/Smog removal, Headers no cats into Ravin Mufflers, cold air, underdrives, Stock tranny and Cam.
schwindty82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:12 AM   #2
Jeff Chambers

Default Re: Tuning Issues, I am out of ideas

The first set in KOEO basically says that there are some stored codes dealing with the EGR, EVP and ECT that were noted and stored by the computer at some point. The 10 and 11 are at the end of the test and basically say that everything is working well. The stored code problems must have fixed themselves at some point.

All the codes in the KOER portion of the test deal with the majority of your major PCM sensors. Was the engine up to temperature? It appears that you didn't perform the WOT test? There are signs that the IAC and EGR didn't function and both of these will contribute to poor idle quality.

I would clear the codes, unplug the battery to reset the computer, and drive the car for 30-minutes then immediately re-run the tests per the instructions. Then attack each problem code one at a time, clearing the codes and re-running the tests one at a time. Use a systematic approach so that you're reducing your variables and you should be able to solve the problems yourself. There's nothing really magical about working with the EEC-IV.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
schwindty82
Registered Member

Ok thanks for the previous advice I did reset the comp got the car to warm up temp and then pulled some more codes as well I changes the fuel filter, plugs, wires, and ALL vacum lines. After this these are the codes I got back and it is still running like garbage.

Key On engine Running

12-R RPM Idle High
42-R O2 Sensor Rich- I think I have to change my 24lb to 19
92-R Sytems rich at 02
33-R EGR Valve not opening properly- I think I am going to fabricate a plate for my TB to go where the EGR was suposta be and then leave the sensor part of the EGR still attached. Will this work?

Key On Engine OFF

WHAT THE HELL ARE THESE?

51 C ECTsensor out of range/circut open
31 C EVP or PFE circut below minimium voltage
31 C EGR Valve control sensor fault ( Yeah same code 2 different meanings??)

Ok there we have it thats what i have fixed soo far and now I am at a piont in which I am lost and have no idea on what to do next with it to get it running half ass good and to idle. Thanks once again in advance.

Schwindt
Edelbrock Performer Heads and Intake, Fuel Pressure Reg, 1.7 Roller Rockers, 190 fuel pump, 24lb injectors, 3:73 gears, AC/Smog removal, Headers no cats into Ravin Mufflers, cold air, underdrives, Stock tranny and Cam.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:43 PM   #4
schwindty82
Registered Member

Nothing yet guys? I am lost here
Old 01-31-2005, 09:23 AM   #5
Jeff Chambers

From the KOEO:

51 - looks like your ECT sensor needs to be replace. Small $$ item so shouldn't be an issue. Replace it and see if the code goes away.
31 - EVP circuit is associated with that little solenoid down at the charcoal cannister. If you live in the north this gets hit with the salt & snow so again you should replace it and see if the code goes away. Might also be caused by vacuum leaks in the vacuum lines coming down from the vacuum tree on the passenger side.
31 - EGR valve gets gunked up with exhaust crud. Clean the valve well with brake cleaner/carb cleaner and make sure the plunger travels freely. Re-install and check codes. Sometimes the bladder in the actuator develops a leak so you might have to change the entire assembly if the code can't be cleared. Just blocking off the EGR port won't solve the problem; the code will still be there if the computer isn't sensing that the valve is actuating properly.

KOER test:

42 & 92 - If you've got 24# injectors but not a 24# calibrated mass air sensor, then yes the car will run rich, idle poorly and run poorly. With a calibrated sensor, the computer should be able to adjust without any problems. I have been assuming that this is a mass air car.
33 - Associated with the earlier EGR problems. Fix one and you'll fix all. Make sure this is working.
12 - RPM idle high. May be caused by a malfunctioning IAC motor but also may be caused by the computer trying to adjust to the rich conditions by allowing more air via the IAC. Again, may be related to the 24# injector issues.

What's your vacuum at the proper idle speed (690 to 750rpm)? What temperature thermostat do you have in the engine? What year is the car and what PCM code do you have (A9L, etc.)?
CRT Performance

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Old 01-31-2005, 10:47 AM   #6
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

"42 & 92 - If you've got 24# injectors but not a 24# calibrated mass air sensor, then yes the car will run rich, idle poorly and run poorly. With a calibrated sensor, the computer should be able to adjust without any problems. I have been assuming that this is a mass air car."
___________________________________________-

Please tell me you have the mass air sensor that is calibrated for 24 #ers. If not well there is most of your problem.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:24 AM   #7
schwindty82
Registered Member

Well its a speed density car first off I do not have a MAF sensor, I do not have a Vac tester but at idle I have loads of vacum just by pressing my finger over the lines. I have a 180 t stat just freshly installed and the car ran perfect with my stock setup thats why I am wondering about the rest of these things.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:57 PM   #8
Jeff Chambers

A speed density system is going to keep firing the 24# injectors for the same amount of time (injector pulsewidth). You could have someone like Autologic burn a chip that would compensate for the increased injector size, but SD just isn't that accomodating to overall changes. A guru like Mike Wesley might say otherwise, but for your basic layman its a tough system to tune with.

You could try lowering your fuel pressure to compensate for the 24# injectors, but don't go too low or you'll risk affecting the fuel atomization.
CRT Performance

Old 01-31-2005, 01:47 PM   #9
schwindty82
Registered Member

Yeah I am installing my 19er back inside I figured out the Just of Speed density but I have to be able to move my car to go and get a custom chip soo I am in a rock and a hard spot I think I will try them out and see if it runns any better, hopefully it will clear somethings up thanks for the advice