MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Default Tubular K member

Looking into buying a K member (Since the engine is out and all) Anyone using the Groundpounder? Seems like a great price, almost TOO great. How about D&D? What are you guys using?

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
andy669
Registered Member

Default Re: Tubular K member

www.racecraft.com

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 07:08 PM   #3
drag79stang
Dont make me take my belt off

Been running QA1 K member (and all other front coil over setup), for a few years now. (oh yeah, lakewood 90/10 struts tho). If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't hesitate to re-purchase QA1 stuff again.
My .002 :>)
drag79stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
tarmon8r
Registered Member

I bought the ground pounder tubular k-member, arms and coil-over. Well. I had issues. Lots of issues. Motor wouldnt drop in with the tranny on. 7 qt oil pan wouldnt clear the motor mount on the drivers side. The rack mount was askew by just a few degrees and the rack and pinion wouldnt go on. Had to cut off one mount and install, tack, remove and reweld the mount. The steering shaft hits the motor mount. Had to clearance the motor mount. Hardware for the rack and pinion. Stock k-member uses a 5/8 diameter bolt, need 2 1/2' 6 inch long grade 10 bolt. Try finding two of those. The k-member had issues being installed as well. The rear mounting points were to wide. The coil overs dont have anyway of locking to prevent from spinning and changing your ride height.
1983 mustang, 393 cubic inch stroker small block, victor jr heads and intake, gold race 1.6 roller rockers. comp cam 304, 244@ .050. .576" hydralic retro roller cam,lunati rods. block was o-ringed,10:1 forged pistons, speed pro fit fit rings, clevite bearings,msd distributor and igniton,be cool huge radiator, black lite electric fan, march underdrive pulleys, mildon deep sump oil pan, mac 1 3.4" long tube headers, 3" dr gas x-pipe and mac exhaust,ARP bolts. car weighs 2900 lbs w/out driver, sub frames, weld wheels, mickey thompson sportsman pro 26 x 10.5 x 15's,#8 fuel line steel braided
tarmon8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:34 PM   #5
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

OK, so the Groundpounder IS too cheap. Exactly what I wanted to know. THANKS! (Bet ya wanted to tell Groundpounder where to POUND their K member!) I'm liking that Racecraft that Andy posted. THAT looks like a quality item. So does D&D. QA1 is outta my budget as is Maximum Motorsports. Here's my thinking, the K member is a VERY important part of the car, and I want a good STRONG one, not too concerned about weight savings, that's an added bonus at this point. I saw one that lenghtens the wheelbase by 3/4" is it worth it? Also saw one that narrows the front tracking by 2" (Puts each front wheel 1" closer to the center of the car) Is that worth it?

MICE need not apply.....

Old 03-21-2005, 05:27 PM   #6
andy669
Registered Member

Both of those things can be done with the A-arms. Mark has different length A-arms available, and they use rod ends instead of bushings. Depending on where you place the spacers, you can lengthen the wheelbase, shorten it, or set your front to stagger.

We put a Qa1 in a buddys car awhile back. It bolted in just fine. The A-arm bolt holes were drilled right next to the mounting plate and we had to grind a huge flat spot in the head of the bolt. The welds were terrible. Lots of filler. It will work, but the quality doesnt even compare to one of Marks.

Andy

Old 03-21-2005, 05:45 PM   #7
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Well, sounds like Racecraft is getting a phone call. Just looking at the photos of the cars they've built tells me their not in the habit of doing things half-fast. I like their wings too, but outta my price range, going with an Ed Quay for that. Not that I need it, I just think they look kewl. Thanks for the input guys, exactly what I needed to make up my mind. Andy, mind if I drop your name when I call Racecraft?

MICE need not apply.....

Old 03-21-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
andy669
Registered Member

Yeah, thats fine. Be prepared to leave a message, I know they have been swamped lately. Also, dont be surprised if it takes a week or two. They have been selling faster than he can make them. Did you follow the 2005 Mustang link to Paxtons website?

Andy

Old 03-22-2005, 06:54 AM   #9
Jeff Chambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~The Jester~
OK, so the Groundpounder IS too cheap. Exactly what I wanted to know. THANKS! (Bet ya wanted to tell Groundpounder where to POUND their K member!) I'm liking that Racecraft that Andy posted....
The UPR unit is all chromoly and is a decent piece IMHO. It took about 60-lbs off my front end and fit my Fox w/o any major issues...just had to grind a tad for my particular steering rack. The best I've seen is the AJE, but its too pricey for most folks.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:19 AM   #10
badluc1
Registered Member

I have installed 3 d+d k members and have been happy with them all. relatively easy especially with the engine out.
badluc1 is offline   Reply With Quote