MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-22-2005, 12:48 AM   #1
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Default Dyno Tips?

I have a date with a Dyno Oct 15th. This is my first ever Dyno run. Please pass me some tips and let me know what I can expect.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:00 AM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: Dyno Tips?

These are the only tips I can think of.

1. Dont let the idiot shop helper tinker with your car.

2. Dont let someone else operate your vehicle for the dyno run.

3. Make sure your car is strapped down properly.

4. Dont go to the dyno if your clutch is on its last days cause the stress the dyno puts on your car will fry a weak clutch.

Have fun and post results,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:26 AM   #3
tmoss
Registered Member

fresh plugs, clean a K&N or remove a paper filter, clean the rotor and cap terminals with a fine file, clean out the cap real good with TB cleaner, set intitial timing to 14-16 degrees, show up early and remove the battery negative terminal for 20 minutes before you get on the dyno.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:48 AM   #4
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Good stuff...why clear the codes?

Do I have to do all the cleaning if the block will only have 500 miles on it? I just finished the Red Venom project (362 w/ AFR 185's).

What do I need to expect? How many gears will I go through...how long does each pull last...do I gun it all out?
Old 09-22-2005, 09:02 AM   #5
tmoss
Registered Member

It's not to clear codes, it's to clear the adaptive feature adjustment factor that is stored in Keep Alive Memory (KAM) - it changes your A/F ratio.

The dyno operator will not likely let you drive the car on his dyno. He will pull it up to 4th gear and get rpm around 2,000 or so and then go wide open throttle and start recording until the HP curve noses over.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

Old 09-22-2005, 09:07 AM   #6
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

They do the dyno pull in 4th gear.

Clearing the codes can make you dyno higher as you tinker with the car cause the ecu doesnt immediately compensate. But the ecu will readjust and you will lose what little HP you gained by clearing the codes.

I dont clear mine cause I want an accurate reading of how much HP my car makes on the streets.

Your car should put down some Beefy #'s

Good luck,
Old 09-22-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
Jeff Chambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_5.0
These are the only tips I can think of.
1. Dont let the idiot shop helper tinker with your car.
2. Dont let someone else operate your vehicle for the dyno run.
3. Make sure your car is strapped down properly.
4. Dont go to the dyno if your clutch is on its last days cause the stress the dyno puts on your car will fry a weak clutch.
As a shop owner/operator I'll take offense to the first two items. That shop idiot/owner has probably seen more cars that you ever will. Pay attention to what they say and try to learn something....you may be surprised. Secondly any shop's insurance will forbid anyone operating the vehicle on the dyno other than a shop employee. Now if you're great friends with the shop owner, you may eventually earn a status/trust that lets you operate your own car, but until then I wouldn't even ask. If you don't want to let those that have been trained to do it, then don't even go. There's a lot more on the line for the shop owner than there is for the car owner.

To answer the original question, make sure your car is in the best condition it can be in. No bulging hoses, frayed belts or obvious vacuum leaks. No badly leaking engines, transmission or rears. Put in a fresh set of copper plugs, properly gapped. Replace the wires if they're old (it does make a difference on the data the dyno will capture). Replace the O2s if you're having a tuning session done, even if you think they're operating correctly. I'm reminded of an old engineering saying about computer programs...."Junk in = junk out." Put your car in the best possible condition and you'll get the best possible results and the best possible tune from your tuner.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:26 AM   #8
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Thanks again guys...Want to predict some hp numbers off my combo?

362 (351 +.0060)
Ed Curtis custom Grind Roller cam(.5440/.5446 lift--286/289 duration @.006--111* separation)
AFR 185 heads
1.6 Ford Roller Rocker
GT40 Tubular Lightning Intakes
BBK 1 3/4 longtube headers/2.5" offroad h-pipe/Dynomax Super Turbo cat back
30 lb injectors
65 mm throttle body
73 mm MAF
BBK Cold Air Intake Kit
190 lph fuel pump
3.73 gears
T-5 transmision
12* timing
Old 09-22-2005, 09:32 AM   #9
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

BTW...I know I need to upgrage the MAF/TB. I need to save a little and then get an Anderson power pipe for a 77 MAF/75 TB.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:48 AM   #10
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Chambers
As a shop owner/operator I'll take offense to the first two items. That shop idiot/owner has probably seen more cars that you ever will. Pay attention to what they say and try to learn something....you may be surprised. Secondly any shop's insurance will forbid anyone operating the vehicle on the dyno other than a shop employee. Now if you're great friends with the shop owner, you may eventually earn a status/trust that lets you operate your own car, but until then I wouldn't even ask. If you don't want to let those that have been trained to do it, then don't even go. There's a lot more on the line for the shop owner than there is for the car owner.

To answer the original question, make sure your car is in the best condition it can be in. No bulging hoses, frayed belts or obvious vacuum leaks. No badly leaking engines, transmission or rears. Put in a fresh set of copper plugs, properly gapped. Replace the wires if they're old (it does make a difference on the data the dyno will capture). Replace the O2s if you're having a tuning session done, even if you think they're operating correctly. I'm reminded of an old engineering saying about computer programs...."Junk in = junk out." Put your car in the best possible condition and you'll get the best possible results and the best possible tune from your tuner.
I didnt mention a shop owner or operator. Re-read it.

I said the idiot shop helper both the dyno's around here have a minimum wage doofus that dont know shit about cars "helping" out. Trust me I wont learn shit from the guy that holds up the broom and doesnt know how to operate a timing light.

Lots of guys operate there own cars for there dyno pulls. Been there done that. If they wont let him its not that big a deal but it is nice when they do.

You took what I said out of context.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:42 AM   #11
tmoss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Chambers
As a shop owner/operator .....
Are my memory synapses failing me Jeff? I thought I remembered you as a genuine "rocket scientist". How long have you had a hi-po shop business?

Old 09-22-2005, 11:49 AM   #12
Jeff Chambers

We opened CRT Performance earlier this year.....dyno went in the ground on May 27th to be exact. I'm still working full time at NASA for the time being, but if the shop continues to do well then I may give my 'adios' to NASA next spring.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:57 AM   #13
tmoss
Registered Member

Ah, OK - my memory hasn't been re-circuited. Best of luck to you Jeff.

PS - I hope your NASA bosses don't read this forum.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:02 PM   #14
Rev
Registered Member

I have only one more recommendation for your dyno run. Inflate the rear tires to 50 psi for the run. That will reduce tire to roller friction and gain a little hp/torque on the read out.

Also, you might want to ask for actual observed numbers as well as the corrected numbers for the runs. I don't have too much confidence in the DynoJet program for correcting to SAE conditions. I always ask for the uncorrected numbers as well so I can use another correction program if I want to.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 01:36 PM   #15
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Thanks Rev...how are you holding up there with Rita? Looks like she might hit east of you all.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:54 PM   #16
Rev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons Talon
Thanks Rev...how are you holding up there with Rita? Looks like she might hit east of you all.
Hit to the east as you mentioned. My house in SW Houston apparently was just outside the outer bands of the hurricane. Very little rain and moderate wind. Looks like my area "dodged the bullet" this time. Thanks for your concern.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 07:54 PM   #17
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Falcons Talon, Heres a good tip for you. Buy the newest Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords. Theres an article on the proper way to dyno your mustang. Good luck, hope you get the numbers you hope for.
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:21 PM   #18
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_5.0

Well guys, I just got back from the dyno...

1st run-294.99 hp--354.27 tq
ran rich at 42 lbs of fuel pressure. Re-tuned to 35 lbs fuel pressure...

2nd run-324.61 hp--385.34 torque

Pretty happy being in the 300+ hp club on my daily driver. I almost hit 400 lbs of torque...

I'm happy since she runs a/c and take me to work every day.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:31 PM   #19
tmoss
Registered Member

Very nice street numbers - congrats!

Old 10-16-2005, 06:28 PM   #20
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

1st run.

http://media.putfile.com/DynoDay043