MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-08-2001, 08:08 PM   #1
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Question Could a bad TPS cause this?

I was racing a guy the other night when I hit 2nd gear and the throttle stuck. My tires broke loose and scared the hell out of me. When I got it shut down the factory tach was stuck at like 8000rpm

I found out my front bolt that holds the TPS down was rubbing on the hood and it is now stripped. No biggie because I am getting a new TB and TPS anyway, but now I have this problem...
After the throttle stuck and I got it fired back up my check engine light is on and stays on. Plus, I sometimes get this pinging/ticking/knocking noise at higher rpms now. It does not do this all the time. Some days it does and some days it doesn't. It's not a rod. I know what they sound like and could diagnose that is a second. My guess is spark knock.

I haven't been able to check the TPS setting because my volt meter is at my brothers which is 60 miles from here. Would a bad or improperly set TPS cause spark knock or a similar problem?

Thanks.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 09:14 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I doubt the TPS would cause that problem. If it did it would be because the TPS voltage is too low. You'd actually have the car at WOT, but the computer would be reading much lower than that, thus not pulling timing. But at the same time, your computer would be starving the engine for fuel if that occured.

You'd probably lose quite a bit of power, and it could cause a preignition ping, but I think the problem is more likely gas or ignition related.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 10:45 PM   #3
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

But how could over-revving cause a fuel problem? Or an ignition problem for that matter?

Let's see, my TPS is loose, so it could very well be reading too low. If that is the case and like you say it would cause advanced timing and less fuel, would that not cause pinging?

Oh yeah, It has terrible throttle response now. I forgot to mention that earlier.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
Old 09-09-2001, 01:50 AM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302:
You'd probably lose quite a bit of power, and it could cause a preignition ping, but I think the problem is more likely gas or ignition related.
It is possible that it's causing the problem, the throttle response definately. Since you know the TPS is messed up, it would be an obvious starting place.

Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 03:46 AM   #5
PKRWUD

It sounds alot like a TPS problem. What codes (KOEO & KOER) come up?

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 04:26 PM   #6
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Ok, I was just making sure I didn't screw something else up when this happened. I know it's not something mechanical because it only makes the noise on occasion. I haven't pulled codes yet because my bro has the scanner too =P

I'm ordering my TB this week. Since I have you guys helping me out here do you think I should stay with a 65mm? Here's my user ride listing... http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1553

Thanks again.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241