MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-06-2001, 01:00 PM   #1
avbcon12
Registered Member

Post Throttle response enhancer

has anybody used the throttle response enhancer that is available from summit racing?
does it work?
im talking about the one that plugs inline of the TPS and harness. it sells for $90.

thanks for the replys
Adam
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 01:24 PM   #2
slo95
Registered Member

I think a better less expensive way to improve throttle response is that spacer on the cable trick i read on one of these sites. It is suppose to take up the slack in the throttle cable and give better response. a buck for the spacer, vs. 90 for some plug in thing? try the spacer first.
slo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 07:22 PM   #3
Mach 1
Registered Member

Throttle response Enhancer? Your joking, right?

Do yourself a favor and save your money.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 08:19 PM   #4
elma22
Registered Member

Talking

Slo95
Where can you get that cable spacer? I was looking for it before but couldn't fing it.
Thanks
elma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 07:09 PM   #5
slo95
Registered Member

here is a link from another site, hope it helps... http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/99pedals.htm
slo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 09:08 PM   #6
PKRWUD

How funny! I've been doing that, in one form or another, for more than 20 years! First car I did it to was my '69 SS Chevelle, around 1979 or so. I don't know about the "nylon spacer", but i always found something. This is one place where the ricers have us beat. Every one I work on has a throttle cable adjustment under the hood. Really impresses my customers when their car jumps when they touch the gas pedal

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 09:34 PM   #7
Capri306

Wink

Better get some Z-wax, Motor Pud, and Shmuck-50 to go with that...oh, should prolly check the muffler bearings and blinker fluid while we're at it.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 09:58 PM   #8
91evilstang
Registered Member

Cool

I dont know a whole lot about the throttle response enhancer but i dont think you guys getting exactly what its for.You guys are talking about making the initial touch of the gas pedal more "touchy".The throttle response enhancer tricks your computer into thinking your throttle is at "wide open throttle" at 70% open by feeding a steeper curve of voltage from your tps.Reaching wot as quickly as possible can be very important on the road course coming out of a turn or on the drag strip trying to shift as fast as possible without power shifting.I think it would be a good idea in some applications.

------------------
91GT Flowmaster 2 chambers,off road H pipe,mac equalength headers,F303 cam,high lift valve springs ,svo 1.6 roller rockers,19*timing,410's,BBK cold air kit,hurst shifter, Pullys,World class T5 MSD 6al box. Ran 13.5@101 with stock headers and air box.
91evilstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 05:14 AM   #9
PKRWUD

It takes the slop out of your throttle cable, period. You're reading way too much into it. The only difference you or anybody else will ever notice is a more responsive throttle via the gas pedal. It doesn't alter the throttle itself at all. It doesn't change any angles, or do anything at a different time or place. It takes the slop out of your cable. If you believe anything else, you have some serious issues to deal with.

Okay, I'm sorry. I just posted this and reread your post, and realized you are not referring to the spacer-in-the-cable website SLO95 provided a link to. Where is there more info on the item you are referring to? I'm curious to read about this.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!

[This message has been edited by PKRWUD (edited 09-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by PKRWUD (edited 09-11-2001).]
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 07:56 AM   #10
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

i know mustangs unlimited sells it. heres the discreption that goes along with it from their catalog:

"at 60% throttle, the unit is activated and tells the computer that the engine is at WOT. by creating this signal through the TPS, it then delivers max fuel and timing as if the car were at WOT. the result is an immediate improvement in throttle feel and maximum engine performance without mashing the pedal to the floor. cars perform normally below 60% throttle."

------------------
89 GT AOD w/ shift kit, B&M rachet shifter, Trickflow intake, Crane (E-type) cam, 70Tb, 75MAF, 1.6 Rockers, Pulleys, MAC headers and H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, K&N, 3 core radiator, white face gauges, custom interior, cobra R rims
MY89GT
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 07:37 AM   #11
Mach 1
Registered Member

This is one of the stupidest gimmicks I have seen.
If you want your computer and engine to perform like its at WOT, then push your litle foot down farther and save your $50.00

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 11:01 AM   #12
Matt Harwood
Registered Member

I can't see how dumping extra fuel (as happens at WOT) will help at 60% throttle. If you want to improve throttle response, set the timing as advanced as you can, and make sure your TPS is properly adjusted.

By the way, I'd rather have a smooth progressive throttle rather than an "on-off" switch under my foot.

Some makers of cheap, underpowered cars (Buick and Oldsmobile are big offenders in this department) use an aggressive step-off cam on their throttle bodies to give the poor sap of an owner the impression of horsepower. They step on the gas, and the first few millimeters of travel opens the throttle disproportionately far to make the car "lunge" off the line like it has more power. Pushing it to the floor, however, reveals the same anemic GM V6 wheeze we've all come to despise. Just a trick, no performance gain. At all.

By the way, has everybody seen the BMW films available at BMW.com? I heartily recommend them for anyone into cars--the driving is flat-out awesome!

------------------
Matt Harwood
Harwood Performance Engineering
Cleveland, OH
http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com

1993 LX coupe: built 342, GT-40X heads, ported Cobra intake, JBA headers, 3.55s, etc., etc., etc.

FOR SALE: 1997 Ranger Splash Supercab: 1995 Cobra 5.0L, 8 PSI Kenne-Bell supercharger, Tremec 3550. 319 HP @ the rear wheels. Stock wheels, not lowered. The ultimate sleeper?
Matt Harwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 07:10 PM   #13
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

Vipers have touchy throttles, too.

Jeb_Bush_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote