MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-09-2001, 11:30 AM   #1
jz_mustang50
Registered Member

Post High Preformace TUNEUP

I was at the track last week and talked to a guy that runs in a class that only allows "stock" mustang 5.0 to enter. He said his car stock would run 12.80 w/ tires. What sort of tune up could someone do to increase the preformace of their 5.0? Where should you gap your plugs, advance the timing ect... Doing alot of small things can make a big difference. Is there any way to eak out more power for cheap, just tuning things up? I know I've done new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, and changed every fluid on the car. Anyone know if anything else could make a difference... PLEASE TELL US :-)
jz_mustang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 11:48 AM   #2
Godslayer
Registered Member

Hahah... I love those guys running in the "stock" class. 12.80's stock.. that's a plain lie right there. If you want to go 12's your car will need to be anything but stock. Stock 87-95 will run anywhere from 15.5-14's. There are always variations. I love it when the "stock" class includes steep *** gears, a 200 shot of noss (hehe), huge slicks, and other stuff like skinnies up front.
Godslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 12:51 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

'Stock' is a relative term.

Lots of ways to lower et with a 'stock' engine, but they also make the car less comfortable and closer to a track car.

You can lose about 200 pounds or so by taking out the rear and passenger seats, replace the steel hood with a fiberglass hood, delete the A/C, remove the front sway bar, replace the front wheels with skinnies. Worth about 2 - 3 tenths.

3.73 or 4.10 rear gears with a tight clutch and an aftermarket shifter are worth a few tenth's.

Sub-frame connectors are good for a better launch and a battery relocation to the trunk/hatch helps, too.

Slicks are a must to lower et, as you know.

Engine mods can include a cold-air intake, advanced timing (14 - 16 degrees), electric fan, underdrive pullies, headers, H-pipe, 1.7 ratio lifters and if you want to get fancy, ported stock heads and intake are still 'stock'. As I said, 'stock' is a relative term.

Add all these up and you might possible see high 12's although no one can guarantee it.

Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 01:25 PM   #4
bada$$lx

Cool

Maybe a "stock" n/a 351 w/ gears and all the minor bolt-ons. But a stock 302......I'm hardpressed to believe it'll run 12.8 on street tires. Who knows, maybe we're finally seeing a "freak" Ford, like all the GM guys seem to have

------------------
'90 LX 5.0;12K original miles;FMS 3.55 gears; March pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads;BBK 1 5/8" equal length shorties;MSD 6AL ignition w/ blaster 2 coil;FMS E303 cam;Pro-M 75mm MAF;BBK 70mm TB; Eibach drag-launch spring kit;Southside weld-on subs;9" K&N cone filter charger;Hurst shifter;Cervini 3" turbo hood;A/C delete;gutted cats;2 chamber Flomasters;Corbeau racing seats;FMS 30# injectors;JMS custom chip;Holley 190lb fp;TFS track heat intake (12.299 @ 113mph w/ a 1.78 60')
....soon to be b