MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-09-2001, 10:13 AM   #1
Mustank the Destroyer

Question tail pipes....neccesary?

What are the harmful effects, if any, of driving a car with mufflers but no tailpipes?
Old 10-09-2001, 10:58 PM   #2
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Carbon monoxide poisoning is one. Unfortunately it's cumilative and you can slowly get it over the span of several days (even weeks). It will cause you to feel tired and if it's severe enough, it can make you fall asleep (if you're driving at night this is a very bad thing). That's why some people will run a car in an enclosed area to kill themselves, they fall asleep and carbon monoxide takes the place of oxygen in your blood stream and causes the brain to eventually shut down from suffocation.
You may not have a problem, but it can also kill you.

------------------
Mustang Parts Specialties ripped me off, it could happen to you as well.
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 11:30 PM   #3
srv1
Get down.....

Cool

OH NOTHING! if you get a little sleepy while driving, go ahead, take a little nap! if you get a little dizzy, you need more beer! if you pass out, you wont even know what you hit! so go on, take those tailpipes off and relax! ahhhhhhhh........

------------------
90 LX Black on Black
Flowbabies, h-pipe, Mac unequal shorties, K&N, Hurst, subframes, Motorsport springs, MSD coil, 3.55's
srv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 01:01 AM   #4
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

lol srv1, i like your reasoning
by the way, does the srv stand for stevie ray vaughn? if so, right on! if not, oh well

another harmful effect could be to your ears, its damn loud inside the car with no tailpipes, sounds freakin awesome though!
i think im gonna take mine off soon because down in Bowling Green a few weekends ago NO ONE cruising around had tailpipes and i was jealous
i kinda like the looks of them on a LX though, i dunno

------------------
88 Notch, B&M Ripper, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframes, 65mm TB, March ram air ,MSD coil, U/L control arms, 155lph f/p, Crane Adj.FPR, Nitto drag radials, best 1/4--> 13.76@101.4 on a 2.17 60ft
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 02:29 AM   #5
Mustank the Destroyer

Thanks for the sarcasm guys, but I was thinking more in terms of mechanical effects. I'm well aware of the things you mentioned. Carbon Monoxide, like all other gasses, is too lazy to work it's way inside the car when it can go around. So it would take a long time for it to accumulate inside unless you're in an enclosed environment. And when you're traveling at normal speeds, the wind under the car will force most of the gasses to the rear anyhow. The reason I was asking is because my passenger side tailpipe fell off(came apart at the clamp) when I hit a pothole in another town and I had to drive for a little over an hour before I got back home. (it sounded mean as hell and I noticed a small difference in the top end.) I was just wandering if this could possibly harm the muffler or cats. (Thinking about shortening the tailpipes to maybe 5 or 6 inches past the muffler with turndowns -maybe just behind the axle - instead of just slapping them back on) Oh yeah.... SRV is the greatest musician to ever live.

[This message has been edited by Mustank the Destroyer (edited 10-10-2001).]
Old 10-10-2001, 09:06 AM   #6
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

you might notice more top end, cause your removing a big restriction, bigger than most people will realize. the pipes themselves don't cause the restriction, its all the bends to go up and over the axle and off to the side and out the back. as a rule gasses do NOT like to change direction, so when they are forced to turn they slow down and then build back pressure. so removing the pipes may increase top end power a little, thats why drag cars dont have tailpipes for the most part, removing your pipes will not do anything detremental to your car, it just might not be legal. but then again laws are s'posed to be broken, why else would we have them!!! plus if we weren't s'posed to do it then why would it sound SOOOO GOOD???

Phantom

------------------
Project Bird Turd

Loose Cannon Racing
Scarzi Machine Works
Phantom5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 04:53 PM   #7
srv1
Get down.....

Talking

sorry Destroyer, i thought you meant health wise. wont harm cats or anything at all, just would be louder. maybe you sacrifice some low end torque and gain top end, but i dont think its that big of a deal. if you race it alot, then yeah, i would go with the turndowns. i have a full exhaust on my car. since i changed it from stock, i noticed a HUGE loss in low end torque, but the top end seemed a little more snappy. it used to be that the "powerband" was between 1500-3500, but now its more like 3000-5000! im not kiddin'! so hope i helped you. i was just being a wise *** , assuming who wouldnt know about that aspects of a non-full exhaust, but now i know what you mean
by the way, SRV does stand for Stevie Ray Vaughan! and i do have my screen name on my plate! i agree with you!

------------------
90 LX Black on Black
Flowbabies, h-pipe, Mac unequal shorties, K&N, Hurst, subframes, Motorsport springs, MSD coil, 3.55's
srv1 is offline   Reply With Quote