MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-17-2001, 02:24 PM   #1
jmel
Registered Member

Post '94 computers

Hey guys, does anyone have an opinion on switching a '93 computer into their '94? I have a '93 Cobra that I am parting out, and I want to use its computer and injectors in my '94 GT. The PIH as I understand it is essentially the same project, only it uses a '93 GT computer, not a Cobra's. How does this swap compare to an EEC-tuner? How will I run my electric fan? Thanks for the help. Jake
jmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 10:52 AM   #2
jruppert
Registered Member

I have a '94 and also a '93 computer but I needed a special wiring harness because there is a map sensor attached to the wiring harness
jruppert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 02:28 PM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

In a word, don't.

The 93 Cobra has a worse computer than the 94 GT. Furthermore, you will need 24lb injectors to use it.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 04:51 PM   #4
Killercanary
Registered Member

Thumbs down

UNIT is 100% right, don't do it. Sell them, and take the money and buy yourself a EEC-Tuner from shiftmaster enterprises. You'll be happy you did, I am.
Killercanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 05:03 PM   #5
jmel
Registered Member

Why is the EEC-tuner so much better than swapping in a new computer? My Cobra ran 13.87's all day long, with a E cam and turbo swirl heads. I wasn't aware that the Cobra computer had the same problems that the '94's do. How much does a EEC tuner go for? Where are they avialable. Thanks, again.
Old 10-20-2001, 06:09 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmel:
Why is the EEC-tuner so much better than swapping in a new computer?
The EEC tuner will allow you to get that 94 GT computer to perform without messing with wiring harnesses and all that junk. Also the 94's have some issues with camshafts from what I've heard. May help you get rid of those problems too.

Quote:
My Cobra ran 13.87's all day long, with a E cam and turbo swirl heads. I wasn't aware that the Cobra computer had the same problems that the '94's do.
The Cobra computers are the most passive, unaggressive computers ever put into a Mustang, probably any car, period. They stay in closed loop for nearly the first 1/8 mile you run (7 seconds), they pull tons of timing, and their fuel/timing curves are extremely lax. Include the fact you need to run larger injectors with it than what is necessary on a near stock car and you get a terrible performing combination.

Quote:
How much does a EEC tuner go for? Where are they avialable. Thanks, again.
That will have to be answered by somebody who has one, or is shopping for one, sorry.

[This message has been edited by Unit 5302 (edited 10-20-2001).]
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 09:30 PM   #7
Killercanary
Registered Member

They are available from shiftamster enterprises on this site: http://www.eec-tuner.com
You'll have to check there for current pricing, but a few months ago I bought mine for $400, that included the board, software, AC adapter, line out, and 2 day air shipping. It gets rid of the timing retard, you can up the idle to compensate for a cam swap, you change change the fan settings, WOT fuel setting, WOT "on" voltage, timing, you can also reprogram your MAF charts if you've upgraded to a Pro-M that comes with its own floe chart- this helps alot as thje 94-95 cars use the MAF to register incoming air, as well as load, and when you get an aftermarket MAF calibrated for injectors other than those that were stock, the MAF "tricks" the output voltage the computer sees, this in turn effects actual load and that's not good! I love mine and can't say enough good stuff about it. Its not the easiest thing to use, but there is tons of info available online. My car is 100% streetable now- it wasn't that way before the tuner. Its also nice because as you change your setup, you can change your settings instead of getting a chip reburnt and such.

------------------
1995 NA GT CONVERTIBLE
BEST ET: 12.85
BEST MPH: 106.96
AFR's, FTI cam, edelbrock intake, EEC TUNER and lots more.
http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/killercanary

Killercanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 08:50 AM   #8
jmel
Registered Member

Well, I think you've convinced me. I like the idea of the computer doing what I think it should do. I like its flexability. So does anyone want to buy a Cobra maf kit? Thanks for your help. One last question--do you need a laptop to work with the EEC-tuner, or will a normal computer do the job?
Old 10-22-2001, 12:29 AM   #9
SlowStang2
Registered Member

Hold it! Hold on! I've dealt with tunable computers with a TPI on a chevy and it was hell and I am computer literate. I absolutely hated the process that took to get mine tuned. The experts that made the software said it will take time. Well, it did and the time spent was as annoying as traffic tickets. Now I know this is not a chevy, but I doubt tuning a computer would be much different.

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible --Cobra upper&lower, GT-40Y Turbo Swirl aluminum heads, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, adjustable fuel regulator, Steeda strut tower and subframes, 1.7 RRs 13.8@100 MPH It's about time.
SlowStang2 is offline   Reply With Quote