MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-22-2001, 09:48 PM   #1
jz_mustang50
Registered Member

Post Speed Gear AOD w/ 4.10s Impossible to get accurate?!? WHAT?!

I've been told that I will need an inline reducer to make my speedo accurate in my mustang. I guess I need such a high number of teeth for the speedo gear it wont mesh right with the output shaft on the transmission. I've seen what the output shaft looks like and where the gears would sit, and I believe it. Anyone know where to get one of these inline reducers for my speedo cable? Hmm.. The T5 just needs a gear, but the fun with the AOD requires something different. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

------------------
Joe Zemaitis, Grand Rapids Michigan

1991 Mustang GT. Mods to date: 4.10 rear end, new POSI, aluminum driveshaft, AOD w/ shift kit, 2 1/2 off road h-pipe, 2 1/2 flowmasters and 2 1/2 tail pipes. Electric fan, Removed air pump and egr tube. Hotchkins upper and lower control arms. New energy suspension rear busings. Hoosier Quick Time Pro 27x10.5x15 and bolt on subframes soon to be welded. Everything else is STOCK. Totally stock ENGINE. 14.29@96 with 130k miles.
jz_mustang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 10:17 PM   #2
macx
Registered Member

try www.tccoa.com, their tech articles, "trans 101" - long one but I think it's in there somewhere. could also check www.baumannengineering.com or www.levelten.com
macx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 02:56 AM   #3
Mach 1
Registered Member

I have an AOD with 4.10's, and I use a white gear, 23 tooth I believe. I have no idea why you would need an inline reducer or who told you such nonsense, maybe they wernt familiar with mustangs, or maybe they were talking about AODE's, which could be different.

Anyway, Ford does not k\make a 23 tooth, white gear. You have to buy it from someone who gets it aftermarket and sells them.

I bought mine from Anderson ford in NJ. They have a web-site and you can order it right online.

Also, there is a slight difference in the speedo gears for AOD versus T-5. The AOD gear is longer. The 23 tooth white gear is made for the t-5 applications, but will work fine in an AOD application. It will be shorter than the gear you remove, but will work fine.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote