MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-09-2001, 11:40 PM   #1
hawaii5_0
Registered Member

Post K&N to cold air induction...any gains?

Is it worth it to go from the stock air box with the silencer removed and a K&N filter to a Moroso cold air induction kit? Would there be any noticable "seat of the pants" difference in performance? Or should I keep what I got and save $100?
hawaii5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 12:07 AM   #2
smithbling
Registered Member

The key to more power is more airflow. A cold-air induction kit is a worthy investment in my mind.

I noticed a little more off the line and it seemed like the car hit the sweet part of the powerband amybe 100-200 rpm quicker. then again maybe I am crazy.

HP gains at the wheels on a relatively stock 5.0 is around 4-5 HP. The claimed 15 is BS!!

------------------
C ME FLY
88 coupe = MAC headers, H-pipe, and Chrome 2.5" pipes, pullies, K&N filter, BM shifter, 17" ROH ZR6, Dropped 1.5".
smithbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 12:10 AM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Tests show about a 3 - 4 HP gain with the Moroso kit. It sounds great at WOT and I felt a sharper throttle response but the actual power gain is rather tiny.

I recommend this mod for Mustangs that don't intend to see many serious mods, such as heads, cam and intake. If you just want to clean up the engine compartment and get a few HP, it's fine. If you're saving up for new heads, don't bother with it. $100. is a lot for what you get, but I'm pleased with the kit on my '90. Fits well, looks good and I'll take the 4 hp, thanks.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 01:14 AM   #4
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

hmmm, i have the "mac coldair fenderwell mount, it looks better than it performs, and it sound cool, i only gained maybe a mph or 2 in the 1/4, i would of rather bought an h-pipe or subframes, but oh well....it's up to you.

------------------
90 lx coupe: Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil,advncd ignition,3-core radiatr, FMS alum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs, 3chbr flows.
Best time: 13.9116(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 97.80
Best 60': 2.0047

next mods: subframes, mac h-pipe
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 10:19 AM   #5
Gautam
Registered Member

Hi,
I bought the cone K&N for $100CDN ($70US), and running without any ram-air setup, all I noticed was louder noise, more of a whistling/sucking sound, and a little better throttle response.

I got fed up with the excess noise, so I put a cover over the filter (from a plastic bottle my bro got that was an exact fit over the filter), and made a ram-air setup using some tubing I found near my clothes dryer. Also, I was lookin around in a Mustang junk store, and managed to pickup a scoop (similar to the one in March's RAM-AIR kit) for $10CDN ($7US).

So all in all, I spent about $10 to create a basic ram-air setup and although it's hard to feel 4-5hp gains, there is a difference then running with stock filter setup.

I don't know if it's worth spending extra for a cold-air/ram-air setup, when you can spend fraction less and create your own with a few supplies from a plumbing/housing store.

Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
http://www.cubicdesign.com
http://www.cubicdesign.com/mustang/
Gautam is offline   Reply With Quote