MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-25-2002, 09:29 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default signs of a worn clutch?

Is a clutch worn if the clutch engages closer to the floor or almost all the way out?
I heard somewhere that a good way to tell is to put it in 5th gear and slowly let out on the clutch and the closer to the floor it engages, the better the clutch is. True?
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 09:35 PM   #2
stanger8172
Registered Member

never heard the fifth gear thing but if it's engaging close to the floor and you can't bring the cable out any or tighten the cable manually, closer to the engine than it's going.

If it's slipping too then that's another sign. Whenever I go over bumps in the road the clutch will let go of the flywheel and it will like skip or slip.
'91 LX convertible , T-5, Centerforce Dual Friction, MSD Blaster Coil, FR 9MM wires, 13* timing, 1.6rr, ported/polished/milled stock heads, 1.94/1.60 stainless valves, March Performance Pulleys, K&N panel, 1"spacer, BBK shorties, 2 1/2" off road H, Summit 2 1/2" catback
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 02:36 AM   #3
chris91LX
Registered Member

Usually the closer to the floor it grabs, the better the clutch is. If it was installed properly. When my clutch was going, (actually it was the pressure plate but it's a long story), the clutch wouldn't grab until the pedal was almost all the way up. I've heard another way is to put it in a high gear at low speed and hit the accelerator, if the clutch is bad it should slip a bit. Clutches can also go out with very little warning, but usually you can feel it slipping right before it goes. You can pull the inspection cover and look where the clutch fork sits, I believe it should sit just shy of halfway from the back of the bellhousing, the farther toward the back of the bellhousing the more worn the clutch is usually (I'm pretty sure). I'm just relaying what i've been told, I don't have tons of experience with clutches, just put in my first a week or so ago.
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote