MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-25-2002, 10:23 AM   #1
JaxTheDJ
Registered Member

Default The skinny on mufflers

My racing buddy Rick ( who owns a muffler shop) and I decided to test all these so called power adding mufflers,so we knew what times his Stang ran in the 1/4 with the flowmasters(13.21), 2 weeks ago he welded up a set of Dynomax's and went 13.20's again.(hundredths varied a bit) due to heat track conditions etc.
This week he tested the Warlocks,guess what? 13.20's again,so when you buy your mufflers,look for the best deal and basically the sound you want cause there is NO appreciable gain from one to the other,all types tested were flow thru design with little to no backpressure. Just some info to share from a couple of guys who did the install and run test. All Mufflers were given a minimum of 5-6 runs at Gainesville Raceway . Hope this info helps with decisions you make.

Jack
89 Lx
1989 Mustang LX: Converted to Carb.650 AED Holley DP,Weiand Stealth Intake,Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads,Hooker Super Comps, Ground Pounder Uppers and Lowers,Moroso Drag Springs,NEW COMP Xtreme Energy Cam and 1.6 RR. ,a few other goodies.*** New 1/4 times-12.50
1987 SC GT ( fast as hell)
2001 Powerstroke Tow Vehicle 1989 Coupe.

Sometimes when you cry,no one sees your tears..........
Sometimes when you are happy,no one sees your smile.........
But,FART just ONE time..........
JaxTheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 10:39 AM   #2
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, Jack. I was kind of wondering that about the performance of some because I want to go with a decently quiet performance muffler like Dynomax. I guess the performance of the Flowmaster compared to MAC or Dynomax isn't enough to care about.

Matt

Best to date: 14.331@97.46mph with 14*/stock fan/short belt and a 2.222 60' in 90 degree weather

Waiting to put on Off road H and 1 5/8 headers

Rice Hater's Club #36
MattwantsSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 01:34 PM   #3
8950LX
Registered Member

Anderson Ford recently completed a muffler shootout that will be featured in an upcoming issue of 5.0 Mustang. I think alot of people will be surprised with the results. By the way they are selling the mufflers used in the shootout at very reasonable prices. I bought a set of the Spintech mufflers. My Flowmaster 2 chambers resonate to much for my liking. The Spintechs are supposed to have less resonating,we'll soon see. I agree with you Jack, find the best deal and the sound you want and go with it.

Bill
8950LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 09:04 PM   #4
JaxTheDJ
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I forgot to add,the Dynomax's were the quietest of the 3,and the flowmasters the loudest,same times on all,so pick your noise........LOL

Jack
1989 Mustang LX: Converted to Carb.650 AED Holley DP,Weiand Stealth Intake,Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads,Hooker Super Comps, Ground Pounder Uppers and Lowers,Moroso Drag Springs,NEW COMP Xtreme Energy Cam and 1.6 RR. ,a few other goodies.*** New 1/4 times-12.50
1987 SC GT ( fast as hell)
2001 Powerstroke Tow Vehicle 1989 Coupe.

Sometimes when you cry,no one sees your tears..........
Sometimes when you are happy,no one sees your smile.........
But,FART just ONE time..........
JaxTheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote