MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-26-2002, 04:06 PM   #1
RPM427
Registered Member

Default slicks = breakage?

Can I put slicks (M/T 10.5) on my car with the stock drivetrain (execpt a shifter)? Or will something go snap?

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 04:14 PM   #2
HORSEMEN RACING
Registered Member

Exclamation Take a Chance

What type of power are you making?

For ultimate grip you cannot beat slicks but I would upgrade before I start doing any real hard launches,31 spline axles and differential.

Right now you can try Drag Radials they offer some good traction,and depending on size they are not a bad investment,if you want to see what Drag Radials are capable of look at the NMRA site and pull up the Drag Radials class they have cars there running 8's on Drag Radials.

To answer your question more bluntly you may get away with 100 launches on slicks you may not get away with any launches on slicks,you might break the very 1st time.

Good Luck

"there are 5,000 Army troops sitting on their butts doing nothing,while 2 companies of Marines are securing this island" spoken by a Army General on the Isle of Grenada in 1983
HORSEMEN RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 04:19 PM   #3
DRASTiK
Registered Member

There's no definate yes or no answer. Some members here have had many successful hard launches with a lot of power on the stock axles/tranny and some snap on the first try. It's luck of the draw.

Even with upgrades to stronger parts, there's no guarantee you won't snap an axle or blow a tranny on the first try. The more power you're making, the higher the chances are of something breaking.

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 06:06 PM   #4
USMC302
Registered Member

Absolutely agreed. Some have the luck some don't. I suggest starting with some drag radials. They are better traction that whatever you are using and not as much of a chance to break as the slicks. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:07 PM   #5
theforce
Registered Member

Smile Slickster

It is best to have at least 31 spline axles for the record. But here is my story. Well back about 12 or 13 years ago when I got my first 5.0, I didn't have alot of money. I bought a set used Goodyear Eagle slicks 8X26 on a set of Centerlines for $200 from a buddy. I launched the car bouncing off a soft touch (MSD) rev limiter at 6000-6200RPM. The car would spin having a small slick but would cut 1.75 60ft. times. I had friends with motor mods and 10" tread cutting these times or slower. This was with very few bolt ons and stock motor (factory heads, intake and cam). The spin from leaving at such high RPM I think saved the axles my theory. Also the smaller tires don't bite as hard. Never broke an axle. Today my Stang does have aftermarket axles. It is a chance to take and may break an axle. But I gave you a tip if you can't afford the parts and can afford the slicks. May The Force be with You!! LOL
Old 06-27-2002, 03:09 PM   #6
HORSEMEN RACING
Registered Member

Thumbs up One More Tip

I forgot to add,if you do decide on slicks,watch the tire pressure carefully.

Too much air either or not enough will make you have inconsistent launches,and last bit of advice is get to the track,talk to the guys running well on slicks,watch their technique for heating the slicks,lot of things to watch.

Your first launch on slicks the car is going to feel weird,heck it might even bog on you,if you do not get enough rpm's to turn the slicks.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do,but once again I would try Drag Radials first at least you go almost 17k miles with those and only have to air them down at the strip.And you do not need all the other stuff for runing Drag Radials like a safety loop and scattershield,but still be careful.

"there are 5,000 Army troops sitting on their butts doing nothing,while 2 companies of Marines are securing this island" spoken by a Army General on the Isle of Grenada in 1983
HORSEMEN RACING is offline   Reply With Quote