MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-13-2001, 12:29 PM   #1
mak375
Registered Member

Question Small Budget

I am a freshman in college and i am looking at doing some work on my 94 cobra. However i have most of the "inexpensive" stuff done that i know of. I have 3.73 gears, a bassani X-pipe, flowmaster cat back, a K&N, cold air induction, bumped timing, just had a tune up recently, and i am looking at some drag radials right now, maybe MT. If anyone has any ideas of what else i could look into, or what brand/type of tire to look at, i would appriciate it.
mak375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 01:02 PM   #2
onefastlx420
Registered Member

if u dont have subframe connecters i would invest ina pair
89lx cocaine white,cobra wing/emblems,chrome 18in cobra r's/nitto xtremes, gt40 longblock from ccm,forged pistons,f303,1.6 rockers,performer rpm intake,70mm tb,75mm bullet,bbk fenderwell induction,24#inj,190l pump,bbk fuel pressure regulator,140amp alt,msd ignition/disributor,aluminum 3 row radiator,bbk shorty's,off road h pipe,flowmasters,king cobra clutch,world class t-5,3.73's,strut tower brace,subframe connectors
onefastlx420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 02:25 PM   #3
JohnnyG
Registered Member

Arrow

I would go one step further and look into an entire chassis brace package. I recently installed a Maximum Motorsports package (Starting @ $273 for a 1994)- That's connectors, a k member brace, and a strut tower brace. It made a hellofa difference. I am a believer in the philosophy that you want a solid foundation to build power on. So my vote is for a chassis brace package. After that I'd look at weak points in your suspension (so you can put the power to the ground!)
PBR 5-Lug Brakes
Cobra R's w/ 255 Rubber

Rice Hater's Club #60
JohnnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 03:36 PM   #4
mak375
Registered Member

I have subframes welded on, and both upper and lower control arms, and they did help alot.
Old 11-13-2001, 07:58 PM   #5
gtsr515
Registered Member

Ya know what bud, I'd spray the thing with a dry 150, what more do you want.

Z06....done
Viper.........we'll see.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:06 PM   #6
dinomite
The Dude

You're missing headers, thats one uick cheap thing. Beyond that, go for MAF, throttle body, and intake.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 09:27 PM   #7
mak375
Registered Member

i was looking into chargers, but i would have to save for a while for that one, but if i did go that way dont they take off the headers...or am i confused about what i heard?

I was kinda looking at NOS, but i dont want anything that will hurt my car so i was just looking at a 100shot.

As far as intake i figure my cobra intake is good enough for now, and that wouldnt give me much of a noticable difference for the money it would cost.

However, what kind of MAF and throttle body would u suggest and how much would that cost to buy and install? How much would a good NOS setup cost?

(i would try to install it myself, but my stang is at home and i am at school so i can only work on it like 2 days at a time every month or so...i'd rather just have someone do it while i am away and come back to it being done)
Old 11-13-2001, 10:31 PM   #8
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

your right, your cobra intake is fine, and you would be wasting your money if you bought a different one, i think that didnt realize that it was a cobra,

also, dont the cobra's have 65mm throttle bodies too? if so thats one more thing you dont have to buy, your mass air meter is also larger than a GT but still not too great, the same goes for your computer, i've heard that thing really kills the performance of the 93-95 cobra's, could be wrong though

about the "chargers" your probably thinking of turbochargers that would facilitate the use of a different header, plus they are hard to tune and very expensive so, being in college my self, i dont see that as a possibility for you, the same with the supercharger (not hard to tune, just expensive)

i'd go with the new 76mmC&L mass air meter with the inlet tube, very easy to install in little time and right about $200.

your motor as it sits has great potential to make great power, you just gotta get it out of it, your heads (GT40 irons) will flow awesome with a good port job, this with a combination of a good cam will make that thing scream, BUT if its your only car it will be kinda hard to pull the heads/port them/ and install a cam in only 2 days hey just wait till next summer

good luck
Old 11-14-2001, 12:12 AM   #9
mak375
Registered Member

Well i have some money saved but as far as time, i can have someone else do it since i have at least 2 weeks inbetween when i drive it.

what kind of cam would u sugest?

where can i get stuff ported in pittsburgh?

i have also heard that about the computer, but i dont know what to do about it, some say get a whole new one, others say go with a chip. I dont know

but u must remember this is my only car and i drive it on the road mostly, i only go to the track occasionally over the summer and i have other things i should be saving my cash for as well, like when i get out of college, so i am trying to get as must as i can for the bucks

thanks for all the posts
Old 11-14-2001, 12:53 AM   #10
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Thumbs up

The 1993 Cobra came with the 65mm T/B, the 1994-1995's got the 60mm. Not that it will matter much for now.

Upgrade to a A9L or A9P Fox body computer. They will do wonders for your car. One thing to note is that those computers are not setup for electric fans. I forget who sells it, but there is a conversion kit out there to use them. That's a big deal, probably 10-20hp for you. It will also make your system much more accepting of a cam swap. Remember, you'll also need to upgrade your MAF, or switch to 19lb injectors should you choose this option. If you'd like to keep those parts and increase performance, get your combo together, and have a chip custom burned. I think a few members on this board KillerCanary and some others are running a better setup that allows them to play with the values to tune the car themselves.

For the cam, you already have 1.7:1 Cobra Roller rockers (nice pieces). Use the B cam with that combo and you'll wind up with a ton more high end power. About .514 lift 224* duration at .500. You could also go with a Crane 2030 (that seems to be the current fad), or an E cam or any other mild cam. Make sure it's a mild cam because you've got rockers that will artificially increase your lift/duration.

The MAF Sensor is a good place to get ready for more power, and I've seen quite a bit good, and bad, on the C&L products. I'd avoid the Pro-M Bullit 75mm MAF since you've got 24lb/hr injectors from the factory and appearently Pro-M is having issues with their 24lb calibration.

The headers are also a good idea on the Cobra.

The T/B will help if you get a cam, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator would be handy at that point as well.

Good Luck!
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 01:32 AM   #11
mak375
Registered Member

A few things,

1) i am not that good when it comes to working on cars or even knowing all of the parts, this being said having the computer thing so that i could tuen it myself would probably do more harm than good

2) how much will all of that stuff cost, bigger fuel injectors, an MAF sensor, a new computer, a calibration chip so my fan will still work, a cam, a Throttle body...

3) i am looking for something that i can do that is small, like 2 or 3 little things to open up my car, i have been running worse than expected ET at the track, partially i am sure to driving, but i have been practicing and i have gotten alot better, but i am still not near where i have been told i should be. that being said i was hoping there was something that was really slowing me down but i am not sure.

4) remember i am on a small budget here, and i would probably have to have most of this stuff installed for me, i am just hoping that perhaps my parents will buy me a part or two for x-mas

But thanks for all the suggestions, i dont mean to seem ungreatful, your posts have been a great help in giving me ideas, keep them coming.
Old 11-15-2001, 12:01 PM   #12
mak375
Registered Member

I could really use some brand names, places to order from via internet or phone, and estimated costs.

Then i could decide what if not all of the stuff purposed is feasible on my budget.

Thanks