MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-12-2002, 10:01 PM   #1
mike5p01
Registered Member

Angry California smog

After finally getting the car running again I wandered to the nearest smog shop and failed. If anyone could help out with advice, it would be very useful. The car is stock... all I have is a basanni x-pipe with converters. Is that legal... the guy told me I HAD to have 4 cats(pre-cats) in order to pass. So heres the readings. The numbers in bold represent the failed portions.

15mph@1515RPM %CO2 12.4 %O2 2.9 HC(MAX) 86 HC(MEAS) 21 CO2(MAX) .5 CO2(MEAS) .02 NO(MAX) 996 N0(MEAS) 1086
25mph@1716RPM %CO2 13.2 %O2 2.8 HC(MAX) 51 HC(MEAS) 134 CO(MAX) .48 CO(MEAS) .03 N0(MAX) 856 NO(MEAS) 853

I also failed part of the visual inspection for not having 4 cats, also for a check engine light And I was also failed for this reason "This vehicle failed the ignition timing check due to engine rpm being out of tolerance" I left the timing at 14 degrees .. should I take it back to 12 or lower it even more? Please help.

Mike5p0
mike5p01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 10:46 PM   #2
PKRWUD

Okay. Do you have a slight misfire off idle? If so check and make sure plug wires #5 & #6 are not touching each other at all.

Your numbers weren't bad, and are idicative of too much timing, and a slight misfire off idle, and the system not being hot enough.

You MUST set the timing to it's stock setting before the test, which is 10 degrees. You also will have to find yourself a set of pre-cats to satisfy the visual. Pull your codes, and see why the MIL is on, and then reset the ECM. Lastly, next time you go to test, get the engine as hot as possible, without overheating. Spend 30 minutes driving to the test station, even if that means driving in circles.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 11:09 AM   #3
mike5p01
Registered Member

Thank goodness, you made my day. I thought it might be from the timing cuz I was reading about HC's and surface area in the combustion chamber. I'll head out today and check on the #5+#6 plug. The check engine light is from the clutch/starter relay(on the clutch pedal) Thats a long story in itself buts its not there, and it causes the MIL light. There are two plugs that came off it. One with two red/blue wires. And the other with three other wires. If I short the plugs together the car will start and the light won't come on... but the engine will stay reved at 3 grand, I think it has to do with the cruise control... I believe that is what the three wires are for. So for the time being I have the red/blue wires shorted so I can start the car but the rest are open circuits... which I believe is causeing the light. But anyway I'll take your advice.. I just put a flexfan in the other day ... boy its hard to get the temp up now Ohh one more question... are there such things as "clip on" cats... just shells that resemble cats??? Thanks for the time

Mike5p0
mike5p01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 11:17 AM   #4
Young_Pony

PKRWUD,

I have a question, if he is not passing emissions preaty much stock, how do people with blown strokers pass smog? do they take away alot of timing before the test or what? Thanks for any info

Steven

Mike5p01 sry for asking something on your thread
Old 07-13-2002, 02:45 PM   #5
PKRWUD

The three secrets to passing smog are highe engine temp, stock timing, and a good set of cats. Hell, with the right cats, John Force could pass the sniffer test.

I have to go to the track, but I'll write more later.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote