MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-01-2001, 06:03 PM   #1
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Default White smoke and antifreeze smell!

Yes you guessed it, headgasket. I changed plugs and put new plug wires on my car last week. A friend helped as I didn't have the necessary tools to get in under the turbo. I left it there for him to finish as I had some where to go. When I drove it home I noticed it running a little hotter than normal. I didn't drive it for a few days, but when I did it smoked something awful.

I've had some problems with overheating for a while but they come and go. My turbo also has some signs of wear and I've seen white smoke from time to time, but reving it up always clears it out.

I took it out this morning and sure enough there was the smoke again. It also ran a little hotter than normal. I called the guy that tunes for me and he said to bring it over. I left it there for him to begin tearing it down, although it's going to be a couple of weeks before he can get to it. It was about to be put up for winter anyway.

Ansuming my luck isn't completely bad and it's nothing like a craked block. I'm going to put dart jrs, a larger down pipe, new larger headers, new 60-1 turbo, and an adjustable boost control on it.

I've got to call Turbo Tech about the larger down pipe, but hopefully everything will go well.
Old 12-01-2001, 06:14 PM   #2
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Hey, sorry to hear that...I feel your pain, been there/done that. But like you said, blowing a head gasket is a lot easier to fix than a block or reciprocating assembly. I believe it's just fine to have the head gasket as the weakest link.

Suggest sorting out the cause of the blown head gasket if you haven't already. The last time mine blew was when the T-rex failed.

Good luck with it.

'91 LX - 331 w/ Procharger
'03 Cobra Convertible - Pullied
'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 07:50 PM   #3
exgmguy
Registered Member

Maybe your heads are now warped?

1989 Mustang notchback
Warmed up 306 with a Procharger.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 09:37 PM   #4
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by exgmguy
Maybe your heads are now warped?
I want to run more boost, so I'm going to get rid of them anyway. With the factory heads, 10 lbs was about all I could run on race gas. With the darts, I'm hoping for closer to 15. I'm planning to go to a shop in Greensboro for a dyno run and a wide band O2 reading after everything is installed. Will see.
Old 12-01-2001, 10:39 PM   #5
TJR
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm going to put dart jrs, a larger down pipe, new larger headers, new 60-1 turbo, and an adjustable boost control on it.
Out of curiosity, why you going with the Windsor Jrs? Wouldn't the Srs make a better power adder head?
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 08:26 AM   #6
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TJR

Out of curiosity, why you going with the Windsor Jrs? Wouldn't the Srs make a better power adder head?
The jrs just bolt right on, the srs have to have the pistons flycut, which is something I'm not looking to do right now. Plus as I said I've had good success with jrs in the past, I went 6.81 in the 1/8th with a set of jrs on a 306 in my second stang.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:31 AM   #7
TJR
Registered Member

What cam are you running?

Awhile back, I helped a guy put set of Srs (64cc w/ upgraded hardware) on with stock pistons and an E-303 cam, without any problems. But like you said, you have had good luck with the jrs in the past, so go with what you think works best.

Are you going to buy them bare and have good hardware installed?
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 01:02 PM   #8
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TJR
What cam are you running?

Awhile back, I helped a guy put set of Srs (64cc w/ upgraded hardware) on with stock pistons and an E-303 cam, without any problems. But like you said, you have had good luck with the jrs in the past, so go with what you think works best.

Are you going to buy them bare and have good hardware installed?
I'm still running the stock cam. Every turbo person I've talked with says the stock cam and 1.7 rockers are good for mid 10's in the 1/4. I've bought the jrs from a local place with everything already installed, so I guess I'll be doing the same thing again.