MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-15-2003, 11:14 PM   #1
GodStang
College Stanger

Default Richmond gears any good?

I just paid $200 for what I thought was a complete stock 8.8 rear end. After having it unhooked and in the back of the track we spun the axle to see what gears it had. Well the pinion spun 3 3/4 turns. So we were like kool most likly 3.73;s. So we opened the housing to see what condition and to our surprise the ring had Richmond in graved on it. After counting the teeth we came to the conclusion that it was indeed 3.73's. My question is are these gears any good?
Old 03-15-2003, 11:58 PM   #2
Technick
Registered Member

Richmond makes decent gears, I prefer Ford Motorsport myself. They seem to set up much nicer and are inherently quieter than others. The Richmond gears seem to be real sensitive to break in proceedures. I have installed about 125 sets of Motorsport gears and have had little if any problems with them. I once tried to put a set of 3.8:1 Richmond gears together in a 8" Ford rear,(66 stang) after 4 sets of them and they all howled like a ***** I gave up. Yes new bearings EVERY time. Maybe I just got a run of bad gears, but I have NEVER had that problem with Motorsport gears clean on down to 4.86:1 If yours are quiet count your blessings and chances are they will work just fine.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:40 PM   #3
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

I've got richmond 373's It took several times to get a good pattern (I was prettly picky though) mine have a slight whine, they sound different than a 3.08 gear or a 3.55 but it's not a howl like a bad gear install does. With the radio on you can no longer hear it.