View Single Post
Old 12-15-2001, 08:27 PM   #1
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Default Solid, Hydraulic, Roller, Non-Roller... Pros and Cons

I dropped my Canfield heads off at Woodies machine shop in Thorntown In. (he's famous) today and began discussing the buildup of the 351W for my Notchback.

When asked what I wanted to do about a cam I told him my intentions were to go with an Ed Curtis custom cam and the Crane conversion roller lifters and the guy kind of cringed. When I asked why he said he would go with a non-roller cam and save the money I'd spend for the roller conversion on something else. He said the roller cams don't seem to rev as fast as the non-roller cams do.

This guy builds a lot of NHRA engines from what I hear so he is no dummy. I'm half tempted to let him build me an engine and see what it will do on his dyno and let him have free reign at cam selection, but I'd like some input first.

It's going to be a nice-weather only street driven car so what do you think?
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241

Last edited by 2FastLX; 12-15-2001 at 08:44 PM..
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote