MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-26-2001, 03:39 AM   #1
StreetStang37
Registered Member

Post Someone help before I do something stupid!

It's a little bit of a rant.

Went to the track today and I am not impressed with my car. Granted, I never been to a track before and only got one run in. Well I ran a pitifull 14.9 @ 95mph. It was my first time ever at a track. Not too bad but then you figure in my mods! my 60' time was a horrific - gulp...- 2.58. I had to let off the gas and it still wouldn't hook up. And I do have drag radials (Nitto 555) but I didnt heat them up much because I didn't want to look stupid if I did something wrong. (Never smoked the tires before) Traction at the track was horrid, I was expecting it to be better than the street. Atleast on the street I can floor it in first once I get rolling, but at the track, anything over 3/4 and I was up in smoke. I'll stick to street racing at the illegals. Track sucked IMO. 175 miles round trip to boot.
On a good note, I smoked the 350 Trans Am that raced me (15.88 @ 86) my brother ran a 15.2 @ 92 in his LT1 Caprice and his girl ran 14.6 @ 98 in here bone stock 95 automatic Z28 (2.54 60').
There were LS1's in the mid 14's
Will letting go of the gas so much affect my MPH so much? The temp was about mid 80's at Sears Point.

------------------
1993 Mustang GT - March Ram Air & Pullies, K&N, C&L 73mm MAF, 3.73 Gears, Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2 in. High Flow H-Pipe & Cat Back, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 16* Timing Advance, 8.5mm MSD Super Cunductor Plug Wires, Romoved front Sway Bar, Pro-Shift Lite, LX lights
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 06:42 AM   #2
lx mike
Undescribable

Quote:
Granted, I never been to a track before and only got one run in. Well I ran a pitifull 14.9 @ 95mph. It was my first time ever at a track
should have made more runs can't go by just one run.
need more track time and those times will come down. i imagine a few cal guys will let you know how sear point is for racing but i feel you just need more time and your car will come around. i have heard that those nitto's need to be smoked real good to work. the track is much different than the street.

------------------
93-LX: 5 Speed, Flow's with H-Pipe, 3.73's Sub's and K&N.
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 01:25 PM   #3
bada$$lx

Cool

Never just make one pass, do at least 3, it'll give you a much better idea of how your car's running. 3.73's new? With your set up, you shouldn't have THAT much trouble hooking up, especially on dr's. What RPM did you launch at?

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach drag-launch spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; Cervini's 3" turbo hood; A/C-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats; FMS 30# injectors; JMS chip; Holley 190lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113 - 1.78 60')
Old 07-26-2001, 02:06 PM   #4
SlowStang2
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Yeah, I would not be too discouraged. My first run of any night at the track is always slower than the other times I run, so go back and make some more runs. I gotta question for you, it says in your signature you have the march ram air system. You wouldn't have happened to have a cold air intake on there before the ram air would you? If you consider going to the cold air intake let me know the results cuz I have been wondering for the longest time which one is better.

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible --Cobra upper&lower, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter 14.4@100. (Sad, i know. i have stock heads)
SlowStang2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 02:16 PM   #5
TEXSN95
Registered Member

Exclamation

Well what do you think is going to happen if you have drag radials but dont heat them up??? Why not ask someone at the track about the proper way of heating up drag radials...instead of blaming it on the track?

------------------
Clint L.
White 95 Cobra #3637
58cc GT40X heads with mild porting, Crane 2031 cam, FRPP 65 TB, 1.7s, Cobra intake, homeade cold air, 155lph, pullies, Tokico Illuminas, C springs, GW LCAs, Kenny Brown super subs, Steeda CC plates, aluminum driveshaft, Steeda quadrant, B&M ripper, Kirban FPR, MSD6A, Taylor wires, Mac shorties, off road hpipe, 2 1/2 ultra flows w/ dumps, R hood, Euro clear corners, stock 3.08s
13.61 @ 105.7 w/ 2.22
TEXSN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 03:46 PM   #6
StreetStang37
Registered Member

I would have asked someone but there were 450+ cars out there and I didn't want to keep everyone waiting cuz im the kid holding everyone back. The anouncer said it was a record number and they only allowed one run and then started elliminations. I would have loved more runs. The second time I burned the tires for about two, maybe three seconds but then I started getting sideways and I didn't want to hook and fly towards the crowd 30 feet away or so. On my second run I had a 2.3 60' but still couldn't get traction. I went softer than I go on the street and I was still spinning. I grinded second bad (let go of clutch too soon) so I gave up and threw it in fifth (I didn't want to beat up the car anymore than I had for another crappy time). The car I ran was a 96-98 Cobra (modded, talked to him for a bit). He ran a 14.8 @ 103 with his girlfriend in the car. My brother had a hard time finding traction too. He usually goes off the line good, then spins very little and then gets traction. Here he was spinning for the get go. Maybe its not the track and just one bad experience. I spun third about as much as I usually spin second on the street. There were other cars there though with bad times. a C5 @ 13.9, LS1's in 14.6, LX 5spd @ 15.2 among others. I have pictures too.

------------------
1993 Mustang GT - March Ram Air & Pullies, K&N, C&L 73mm MAF, 3.73 Gears, Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2 in. High Flow H-Pipe & Cat Back, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 16* Timing Advance, 8.5mm MSD Super Cunductor Plug Wires, Romoved front Sway Bar, Pro-Shift Lite, LX lights
Old 07-27-2001, 05:19 AM   #7
StreetStang37
Registered Member

Also, I wanted to see what I would run without doing a burn out because I street race often so I wanted to know what I run in a realistic situation where I don't get the option or opportunity to do a long burnout. I wasn't expecting the track to be more slick/slippery than the pavement I usually race on.

------------------
Old 07-27-2001, 09:41 AM   #8
dinomite
The Dude

well, for those nittos to work at all, they have to be hot. the reason your time was so slow is 100% b/c you spun, you said that your 60' was 2.58, and that is why you were so slow. heating up the nittos should fix that, as i always say to people, spinning is not fast, and your case clearly illustrates that.

what you need to do is make lots of runs. either get with your local mustang club and have a bunch of mustangers rent the track, or get you, your brother his gf, et. al., get a few more friends, and go rent the track yourself. just split the cost. even if you know how to race, doing 1-2 runs is useless. i can tell you that the last two times i went with my mustang clut (we take 20-40 people to track) i got 24 runs in each time.

------------------
90LX AOD Convertable: Lakewood control arms, FMS springs.
Best 1/4: 15.277@92.25 (2.27 60')
AIM: dinomite1, roadracestang
dinomite@softhome.net
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 03:13 PM   #9
StreetStang37
Registered Member

Well, wed. was the last day the track is open to everyone. They're gonna remodel it or something like that and try to have it done by Thanksgiving so my window of opportunity is closed. Maybe next year. I'll see what I run newxt year with a supercharger I will be putting in in the next couple of weeks.

------------------
Old 07-29-2001, 11:12 PM   #10
moponys
Registered Member

Friday nights at the Sacramento Raceway is Test and Tune, where you can make as many runs as you want while their open. I've never been there but am really interested in going some time soon. From what I hear, there are not as many people there as at Sears Point.
moponys is offline   Reply With Quote