MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-20-2002, 09:58 AM   #1
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

Default Someone teach me!

Can anyone teach me or know of a site where I can learn more about cams and heads for the 5.0? I know a very little about heads, and like nothing about cams.

Best to date: 14.331@97.46mph with 14*/stock fan/short belt and a 2.222 60' in 90 degree weather

Waiting to put on Off road H and 1 5/8 headers

Rice Hater's Club #36
MattwantsSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 11:40 AM   #2
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

the website you seek is right here my friend

i've learned more from coming to this site than i thought possible.

when i first had my car, i was nervous about changing the valve cover gaskets, but now, swapping cam's or pulling the motor doesnt even phase me.

but just for basics here goes,

I like to think of the cylinder heads as the heart of the engine. Its how the air/fuel mixture is introduced into the combustion chamber and its also where exhaust gasses are released from your engine. I think of it as a heart, because if its not flowing well, then your not gonna be running as strong. Same as your heart, if its not in good shape, then you arent exactly gonna win a marathon.

The cam on the other hand I think of as kinda the brain of the engine. It's specs determine how long the valves are open and how far they are pushed into the combustion chamber (as well as other things). The lift is how much it is pushing the pushrod, and the duration is how long the pushrod is being "pushed" as measured in degrees

hope this helps a little, sorry if i confused you, I'm sure PKRWUD or Mr 5.0 can explain it better than me, they're good at this kinda stuff

-Drew
Old 05-20-2002, 11:11 PM   #3
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

Hey, it does help. I learned exactly what lift and duration are. But I don't understand exactly what's best and stuff like that, when it comes time to mod the car (that I don't have yet)......I think I'll be confused on what combinations are best......

Best to date: 14.331@97.46mph with 14*/stock fan/short belt and a 2.222 60' in 90 degree weather

Waiting to put on Off road H and 1 5/8 headers

Rice Hater's Club #36
MattwantsSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 12:42 AM   #4
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Some of the Mustang Performance books are good for learning good combos and why they work.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:37 AM   #5
briand
Registered Member

Also pick up muscle mustang & fast fords and 5.0 & super fords magazines. they have some great tech articles in these magazines and alot of explanations. some months are greater than others
GT-40X heads(58cc), Cobra upper and lower, 75 mm Bullet, Moroso fenderwell induction, FRPP 65mm TB, 24# injectors, black magic electric fan, phenolic spacer, 1.7 crane cobra roller rockers, crane 2031, BBK 1 5/8 equal length hearders, 2.5 inch off road pipe, 2.5 flowmaster catback, FMS 3.55 gears, T5-Z transmission, FRPP aluminum driveshaft, svo heavy duty clutch, mcleod bullet proff bellhousing, BBK adjustable cluth quadrant, hurst billet shifter, lakewood subframes, BBK strut tower brace, BBK 2pt lower cross bar, FMS 190 lph fuel pump, crane ps91 coil, FMS street pulleys, and 300+ race wires. All thanks goes to my wife sheri, jason, jeff, robby, my dad and all others you helped contribute. most importantly GOD!!!
briand is offline   Reply With Quote