MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-06-2002, 12:05 AM   #1
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

Angry Something Went Terribly Wrong

Tonight at the track, my gaer box stopped working> I'll explain. first the setup. WC T-5 Hanlon 295z gears, steel retainer, new synchros, new throw out bearing and B&M ripper. Running into a 20 mph wind(gusty outside and high humidity, I ran 12.241 @ 115. Got 2 nicwe runs, Next run shifter got rerally hard(binding feeling) and bang grinded 2 nd gear at shift. went into 3rd ok. Then it grinded going into 4th.. Came around to time booth and couldnt get it into 1st. got into 2 nd but a clunk went along. Clutch all of sudden didnt seem to completely disengage. So we tighted it up, alot!! went for another run and exact same thing 2nd and 4th. this time when we got back to the trailer, couldnt get it into any gear at all, and once we did, it wouldnt down shift or go into reverse. So we loaded up for the night. Got it back to the shop, took it out for a test run and it shifted fine, but the moment you gave it alot of gas, it started to bind shifting, now where near as bad at the track, but it was cooled of by then. Oh, Centerforce clutch pack.

ANY IDEAS?????????????
Oldschoolpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 01:48 AM   #2
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

so you KNEW that something was wrong but you decided to make another run? that probably caused quite a bit more damage doing that

The only problem that I could think of is that you are running a T-5 with a 115mph car. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon of people trash talking the T-5, but if you are gonna race much, which it sounds like you may, then you might wanna think about upgrading.

sorry to hear of your bad night at the track, good luck getting it back on the road
Old 06-06-2002, 03:53 AM   #3
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Check your clutch cable. It may need to be replaced.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:37 AM   #4
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fiveohpatrol
so you KNEW that something was wrong but you decided to make another run? that probably caused quite a bit more damage doing that
Yes, but We thought it might be just an adjustment problem.. SO we tightened it up. seemed OK running to the pits, but the run proved it wasnt an adjustment.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:59 PM   #5
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

Default T-5

well, we pulled out the T-5 and to our suprise, its clean as a whistle. BUT!, the input shaft is very very loose. It seems the front bearing is missing some shims and first gear is loose, the whole gear set is loos. They are all new and have no damage, synchros look brand new too. when we pulled the input shaft and first gear out, we inspected the roller bearings in it, they looked good, but will be replaced, only problem, a long( about 3/4" ) narrow roller(needle bearing I think) fell out and from where, I have no IDEA.
Old 06-07-2002, 05:39 PM   #6
gtsr515
Registered Member

Well, Hanlon has a terrible rep, did the trans work on the street before you went to the track, I mean it is certainly possible you messed it up racing, NO trans is bullittproof, brand new or not, also your clutch could be the problem, was that needle bearing your puzzled about the pilot bearing?

Pure guesses?
Old 06-07-2002, 10:18 PM   #7
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

Trans worked perfectly. Bearing 1 single long one, (needle) cam out with the input shaft. Brought it to a race shop and they said all it needs is bearing, just to be safe and to install the shims and clearence it properly.. BUT, had a stroke of good fortune i think.

Ran into a guy today that wants a WC t-5 for raod racing. he has a c-4( with a loose input shaft also) but, this c-4 comes with a B&M trans cooler with fan, Stainless braided lines. 3500 rpm stall Hurst shifter reverse manual valve body, trans brake and everyhting need to convert. Says hell trade even with me for my C.Force clutch, lakewoob bellhousing, WC t-5(unrepaired) my quadrant. cable and pedal.
Oh, and his trans comes with temp gauges and lines for it.

Im thinking of doing that and droping back to either 410's or 390's(from 456) and spraying a 175 shot
Old 06-08-2002, 01:52 PM   #8
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Your making 431rwhp, your going to go through clutches, & T-5's. Either go with a built auto, or upgrade your manual tranny if you want to drag race much.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote