View Single Post
Old 07-22-2003, 08:58 AM   #7
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Talking

Ok. Thanks.

Well, I did find out that I had my fuel pressure set WAY too high at 44 psi....should of been down to 39 psi when I put the chip in. You are right about the timing at 10 degrees, I called the chip people and they confirmed it.

Also, I should clarify what I mean by hard starts. The car starts fine (now that I've settled the grounding issue) when hot. It's when I go to start her when cold that it takes 3 cranks. Does this change anything regarding your feelings about the pump?

By the way.....here's the message that the Aeromotive technician sent to me about the pump. Let me know whatcha think.

PS - I didn't know you were into black girls....lol

Here's the email:

Jason,

The gauge situation is pretty amazing, glad for us it’s the gauge, not for you of course. An inexpensive, air filled gauge would be best.

The vacuum in the intake manifold will fluctuate with engine rpm, if the cam is large enough, or air/fuel ratio lean enough, to cause the engine to roll or change rpm slightly at idle, the vacuum will go with that.

As we discussed, there are no check valves in a racing fuel system unless added after the fact, as a result, pressure will not be maintained once the fuel pump stops running. Other than the instructions that come with the fuel pump, there is no other documentation I can provide. Let me know if you need a copy and I’ll e-mail it to you.

Any time the pump is running, you should have pressure, anytime the vacuum line is disconnected, it should be stable and the gauge needle should appear “painted on”. When changes in air pressure are introduced into the regulator cap (via the vacuum/boost port), fuel pressure will rise and fall on a ratio of 1:1 with either positive (boost) or negative (vacuum). The reference measure for the ratio 1:1 is PSI. Most vacuum gauges read in “HG (inches mercury) so you’ll have to convert to PSI to check fuel pressure change with vacuum. The conversion from “HG to PSI is roughly 2:1. In other words, 2” HG equals 1 PSI of negative pressure.

Any more questions, let me know.

Brett Clow
Aeromotive Tech Dept
5400 Merriam Dr.
Merriam, KS 66203
PH: 913-647-7300 ext 109
FX: 913-647-7207
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote