View Single Post
Old 11-10-2002, 06:35 PM   #5
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool

Thanks for the fun replies.

Coupe 5.0 I think it is great that you dust off your buddies LT1. You have better weight to horsepower, you have a lower first gear with the older T-5, and you have less reciprocating weight.

So keep it up and hope your buddy doesn't read about my secrets...LOL

95 Mustang GT The 302 has a 5.09 rod and a 3 inch stroke for a 1.7 rod to stroke ratio. The 347 stroker has 3.4 inch stroke, and a 5.4 inch rod for a 1.58 rod ratio. The 393 stroker has a 4 inch stroke and a 6.2 inch rod for a 1.55 ratio.

But think of this. Use a 030 over 351 windsor block, run a 3.25 inch stroke, a 6.45 rod and forged piston which yields 329 cubic inches, but maintains a 1.98 ratio. Now run this at 10.7 to 1 compression with no more than .060 combusion chamber to piston dome clearance. YOU MUST KEEP THE QUENCH REAL TIGHT. Mount a Vortec S trim blower with high boost pulley.

Run the stage three trick flow cam with the Trick Flow R head and you should end up with about 750 horsepower, get 18 mpg with fuel injection, and run high 8's or early 9's with 4.30 gears and a Tremec transmission in a 3,000 lb car. You will need a 6 point street roll cage to drag this, plus a helmet, extinguisher, 5 point seat belts and battery cut off.

You will smile like it is no one's business.

Chico, do you have a single or a double overhead cam in that 98?

If running a single cam, SVO makes some heads for it that will boost it to 305 HP. Clean up the ports and make sure the bowl is smoothed and countoured for flow. Do both the intake and exhaust ports, but only the exhaust need any real help. Use a really good header. See if Flow Tech makes one for your application.

Unfortunately cam selection is not what I would like to see for the mod engines. Maybe it is catching up a bit and I just don't know about it yet. Don't worry about dillution on a blown engine, the positive pressure behind the intake charge allows you to run a cam with very little overlap and just use really high lift. Go up to within a .10 to .15 inches of maximum valve lift with your springs. Go short duration and short overlap. Then run the high boost pulley. When I mean short duration, you need about 235 degrees at .050 lift to push 6500 rpm. If you want to hang it at say 8,000 to 8,500 RPM put some money into very light weight pistons and rods, and knife edge the crank. I would seriously consider using the 5.4 liter block for the extra displacement. Then use a 255 to 265 duration cam at very high lift and very low overlap. I think Comp Cams would custom grind a cam for this application.

You can expect about 660 HP if you lighten the pistons and rods, and do some light porting with high lift, low overlap design and the high boost pulley.

Where is pkrwud when I need him, he can tell you the numbers he has seen for these combinations. If you stay with a 4.6 don't expect more than 550 horsepower. You really need the extra stroke to make the torque build on that mod motor.

Wow that was fun.

Now go out and conquer!