MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-26-2001, 10:31 AM   #1
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Question Spring Swap

I've never changed the front springs before, and I've recently gotten a set of Eibach Drag springs. I can do the rears fairly easily (I'm changing the control arms with them too), but the fronts look like they're a little more involved.

Also, are there any small parts I should consider getting?
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 11:10 AM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

When I changed my front springs I just unbolted all the things that would prevent the control arm from being pushed down. I had a friend shove it down with his foot while I put the spring in.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 11:39 AM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

There is a spring remover tool (dangit, I can't remember the name of it) that costs about $50 that helps. It goes up the middle of the spring and you screw it and it compresses the spring, then you just remove the spring. An improvement over all the pushing and pulling that would be involved without it, but then again, it is $50 so it does depend on how much you will plan on using it (or maybe you and a friend could put ~$25 each into it and both of you use it).

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 01:17 PM   #4
bada$$lx

Cool

Yeah, there's a tool,like Fox Body said, but I can't think of the name either. It made it relatively easy to do the spring removal and install.

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach drag-launch spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; Cervini's 3" turbo hood; A/C-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats; FMS 30# injectors; JMS chip; Holley 190lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113 - 1.78 60')
Old 07-26-2001, 03:00 PM   #5
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Thanks for all the quick replies!

My oldest brother has one, so I'm gonna borrow his compressor. Do I need any bushings or new insulators? Or do I just slap in the springs and air bags and go?
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 04:40 PM   #6
FordFasteR
Registered Member

Just install them and go !
make sure you line up the front springs into the spring perch correctly, or you'll have uneven height in the front...

make sure that the spring compressor tool you are gonna use is the kind that has 2 metal plates, one that slides in between the coils on TOP, and another plate that slides in the coils on the bottom of the spring, then, a long screw goes up from under the control arm into the spring and screws into the plates... then, as you turn the bolt (you may need an impact wrench to turn it) the springs compresses..... then you can remove the strut and pull the spring out from the top, remove the compressor tool, and insert it into the eibach spring and then re-install it in the reverse order as removal...

good luck !! dont be scared, its gonna sit high the first few weeks, until the springs settle a bit, it'll get lower but the launching will be much, much better than stock springs !

FORD !

------------------
5.0L 89 LX coupe
4.10 gears, CARB !!!
IM me at FORDFASTER
FordFasteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 07:26 PM   #7
JR 302GT
Registered Member

Is it really that easy? I've got the Eibach drag springs coming, should be here tomorrow. I've seen the stock springs how the are kind of bent over in their perches and it looks much harder to get that tool up in there since they aren't straight. Am I thinking wrong?

John
JR 302GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 09:54 PM   #8
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

I wouldn't say it's extremely easy. You may even have to either have someone lift up on the car (the side that you're trying to change) to stretch out the springs a bit or even put a jack under the car if just the person lifting can't give enough clearance to get the spring compressor inside.

Make sure you take your time though, those springs are really strong and have the potential to do much harm to the human body.

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote