MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-27-2000, 05:52 PM   #1
JamGtStang
Registered Member

Cool Springs

Whats going on guys? I have a Little concern i hAVE A 1990 Gt with 245/50/16 wide tires and i just the springs for my car... the ones that i bought r for 2inch lowering Can i go 2 inches lower with this tires????

thank you very much in advance
JamGtStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 08:59 PM   #2
84_GT350
Registered Member

Springs are hit and miss. A 2" drop is pretty big (and probably too much for your car). My guess is that with 245s you'll have at least SOME rubbing, if not a lot. Did you get some caster plates too? If not, screw the springs. With that much drop your alignment will be absolutely f@#ked without them.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2000, 04:34 AM   #3
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

I agree with 84_GT350. You will need caster/camber plates for sure. And I do believe you will have some rubbing in the fenderwell.

What kind of struts/shocks do you have? If you're running cheap ones you better wait until you can afford some good ones.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 06:04 PM   #4
JamGtStang
Registered Member

Guess what guys i havent installed the spring and i have some rubbing already should i go 1 1/2 and throw thiose springs away ?????

thanx
Old 12-29-2000, 10:41 PM   #5
MDM
Registered Member

I would not go with a 2 inch drop on a street car. I had eibach 1-1.5 inch drop springs and I think even that is too much. The bodywork would rub against the ground all the time- hills, bumps, etc. Plus, if you are interested in getting good launch traction, those springs will make weight transfer more difficult. I am running motorsport b springs now and they provide a good middle ground between traction, ride height, and handling.
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 01:32 PM   #6
JamGtStang
Registered Member

Happy New Year Everybody!!!!!!!!!!!
I don t know what to do ........ i think u guys maybe right 2inch is way too much but i cant return the springs so this s@#ks ... i dont know what to do.... i havent dropped my car and i already have some rubbing

ohh well thanks anyways and Happy New Year I hope Everything is better for u guys next year and that those Stupids at Ford bring a 5.0 or 5.7 next year to the dealers

peace
Old 12-30-2000, 03:32 PM   #7
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

How much did you pay for the springs? And what brand are they? They sound like Eibach Sportlines. You should be able to get rid of those. In fact I think someone on here was getting ready to buy some.

You have to look at some of your options when choosing a set of springs for your car. If you want to carve some corners and don't care much about drag racing then a 1.5" drop would do nicely. On the other hand, if you would prefer better launches at the strip you should look into some good drag springs. You can't have the BEST of both worlds, but there are some middle of the road springs out there.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
Old 01-01-2001, 11:51 PM   #8
mootang
Registered Member

I've asked the question about spings before and I gotta admit no one seems willing to give out a staight answer....msybe they just don't really know anything.
BUT....can anyone tell me how low the drop was with their springs??
Motosport B ?
Motosport C ?
Eibach ?
Mac ?
anyother ?
I've got a '90 LX convert. I only want to take 1 inch out...
thanks i advance
mootang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 01:28 AM   #9
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

My FMS C's dropped my car about 1.5" in the front and left the rear at the stock height.

The reason for them not dropping the rear is because you can buy something like the Panhard bar setup that Kenny Brown sells which has new spring perches that lower the rear about 1.5" as well. I think that's the way it works, but I'm not sure since I don't have the kit yet.

I think the B's have a little less of a drop, but I'm not positive since I have never met anyone that uses them. Anyway, a 1.5" drop isn't that much and makes the car sit the way it's supposed to IMO.

The ride isn't that bad at all with my C's and I'm even running the stiffer Koni Sports which give it a really firm ride. I'd say go with the C's and some Koni Reds. You won't be disappointed.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
Old 01-02-2001, 07:48 PM   #10
Fox89GT
Registered Member

I just installed the sport springs from Steeda. They dropped the front about 1.25" and the rear about .75". The stance looks just about right IMO. The ride also seemed to improve for some reason dispite being about 10% stiffer. It handles pretty good also. I also got their C/C plates for better front end alignment (more caster). Big improvement. Problem now is that my wheels and tires are the limiting factor in the suspension department. Big bucks there...
Fox89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 10:02 AM   #11
JamGtStang
Registered Member

Talking

Guess what guys I sold the eibach springs that I got (2inches all the way around)..... and bought the eibach pro's they r cheaper but they drop only 1.3inch in the front and 1 in the back ....pretty good since my front tires r so big... ohh by the way i'm getting the c/c plates and the off set bushings.... any advice on brands.....

Here is a good questions for everybody... Would you guys put a saleen graphic kit (stripe, decals, blah blah blah) on your cars?
and make it a wanna be saleen 'cuz here in miami we have alot of those and my personal believing thats pittifull. but i just wanted to know if it just me
Old 01-03-2001, 12:14 PM   #12
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

Check out Maximum Motorsports site at http://www.maximummotorsports.com
They have some good info on offset bushings that you should probably read.

They also sell C/C plates, but I really don't think any one brand is a lot better than another when C/C plates are concerned. Hotchkins' ad that "Bigger is better" couldn't be more wrong. With my setup the BBK's which are shorter still hit the hood. I had to cut holes in the underside of my hood for my struts to clear =( It's a good thing I didn't go with Hotchkins.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
Old 01-03-2001, 04:55 PM   #13
JamGtStang
Registered Member

Question

Can somebody tell me whats the deal with the off set racks why r they so important
Old 01-04-2001, 11:41 PM   #14
89FHPLX
Registered Member

I read the part about the wannabe salem. HEHE
Im from Miami to And I've seen that. I think that is really stupid. I have a Interceptor and I have the original stickers on them. Thats good because sometimes people think im a cop. You know how it is here in miami. By the way, do you know anyone or any place where I can get black seats for my car, CHEAP PLEASE, And I need to get 2 chamber flowmasters with the tips. I'm thinking about removing my lowering springs and go a little higher.

------------------
89 Intercepter
BBK Shorty Headers, K@N Cone Filter,H-pipe, Flow Master,Under Drive Pullys,14 degree,Short Belt 14 degree Timming, No Air Silencer, And All Police Package
89FHPLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 09:28 AM   #15
JamGtStang
Registered Member

89 go to a junk yard (hialeah) or go to Eddyson Enterprices # 305 638-5534 they have pretty good stuff in there and kind off good prices where do u live by bro? probladly we could go cruising sometime i have more than 15 friends with stangs kendall area here bro the flows i put it in a place in NW reallyu cheap i think i paid like 200 install and they charge like 20 for each tip pretty good price if u go to GAW its like 300 for the flows and 40 or 50 for tips
Old 01-06-2001, 09:33 AM   #16
JamGtStang
Registered Member

89 why u want to go high? why u want to remove your springs ?

thanx