MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-01-2001, 12:58 AM   #1
89FHPLX
Registered Member

Talking Springs question...Progressive or Specific

Ok, two years ago I bought lowering springs. I think they are "C" springs. I just bought new Strut and shocks because by old ones were wiped out because of my springs. The ride was stiff. Now the ride is a little better because of the strut and shocks but I still have the stiff ride. I would like to know what srings I should buy.. Progressive or Specific. I dont want that stiff ride but I would like to have some on the handling and the lowered stance. Right now my stance in the front is to low and the back is high. I hate that. What is the Difference between Progresive and specific. Oh yeah, I dont race my car so I wont need drag springs. ALL I want is a softer ride.

Thanks all!!!

------------------
89 Police Interceptor
BBK Shorty Headers, K@N Cone Filter,H-pipe no cats, 2 chamber FlowMasters,Under Drive Pullys,14 degree Timing, Short Belt, No Air Silencer, oil cooler, 3.08's, And All Police Package goodies
89FHPLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 10:03 AM   #2
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Do you have subframe connectors? That will stiffen the car up more, but it actually makes the stiff springs feel better because your car won't rattle and clatter as much over the bumps.

The Ford C springs are probably the ones you have as they are setup to use a panhard bar setup with relocated spring perches I believe which lowers the rear the rest of the way. That is why they are sitting higher in the back. You can cut a half coil off of the rears to even out the stance by the way, and there is even a piece of paper that comes with these springs that states that.

As for Specific or Progressive - The factory springs are progressive rate. The Ford C's are specific. A progressive rate spring will give you a softer ride, but will sacrifice some handling over a specific rate spring and vice versa. Progressive rate springs get "progressively" stiffer as the springs compress. Specific rate springs keep the same stiffness all the way through their compression.

I'd try some sub frames if you don't have any now and see what that does for you (Maximum Motorsport full lengths are what I'm getting - NICE). A strut tower and lower 4 point brace will help as well.

------------------
ICQ# 42269241
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 12:48 PM   #3
89FHPLX
Registered Member

So If I want a softer ride I should go with Progressive Springs. Right Now I think that will be the best bet because My car is sitting to low on the front a my new struts will not handle that for a long time. Anyways I hate that stance. I will get sub frame connectors soon but not now. I just wanna get this car back to a nice stance but still lowered a little, but with a softer ride. I know I will lose a little handing but that what I prefer. So which Progressive springs should I get?

------------------
89 Police Interceptor
BBK Shorty Headers, K@N Cone Filter,H-pipe no cats, 2 chamber FlowMasters,Under Drive Pullys,14 degree Timing, Short Belt, No Air Silencer, oil cooler, 3.08's, And All Police Package goodies
Old 04-02-2001, 01:54 AM   #4
TEXSN95
Registered Member

The C springs are 650 specific and 200-300 progressive in the rear. I have the Cs and Tokico 5 way adjustable shox/struts. If ride quality is what you want, then get the adjustable shox. My rear springs are cut over a coil, and it sits level. I have them set on 3 (1-5...5 is stiffest) and the ride is great. On 1 or 2 the ride is mush, but maybe that's what you want. If I autocross I can set them stiffer, or softer at the track for better weight transfer, and they can handle any spring you throw at them. Well worth the $500 for the Tokicos with a lifetime warranty.

------------------
Clint L.
White 95 Cobra #3637
R lookalike with lots of goodies
TEXSN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 09:15 PM   #5
89FHPLX
Registered Member

Man, I dont want to spend $500 bucks. All I want to know is if I go with Progressive springs will my ride still be a little lowered and have a softer ride. That's what I want. Can someone please let me know about this.

Thanks.

------------------
89 Police Interceptor
Old 04-02-2001, 09:18 PM   #6
lito
Registered Member

Go progressive, H&R makes different springs of different strenght, you could also buy just the fronts, which the ones that would bother more.

Maximum Motorsports have them, and you could buy them separate.

here you have their table.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/hrtable.html

lito

------------------
92GT,SOLO RACER, COBRA BRAKES, R1 TIRES, GT40, GT40X HEADS 58CC, 24LBS, 70MM/65MM, E303, 4.10, MANY ROAD RACE MODS, CORVETTE, CAMARO, RX7 AND SUPRA SOLO EVENT EATER

www.killersracing.com
www.clubcopa.com
lito is offline   Reply With Quote