MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-05-2004, 07:59 PM   #1
Rosco
Registered Member

Default Sputtering/Surging

I was wondering what I can check to solve this problem? The car will sputter, or surge when at a constant rpm, under 2500k rpms, which includes idle. It is actually kind of random when it does it. I can't tell under any other conditions that the car will surge like this. It hasn't done this until the temps up here started to dip into the 40's and 50's. I am not really sure what to look at to determine what is causing this? I do get a check engine light sometimes, on and off, which Im pretty sure is due to one of my o2's. The car also surges if there is no check engine light on....
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 07:48 AM   #2
PKRWUD

Default Re: Sputtering/Surging

What are the codes?
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 11:25 AM   #3
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Talking Re: Sputtering/Surging

TPS (Was my problem- only 20 bucks), air bypass, loose or corroded wire (check the main wire to the firewall), corroded intake/TB...

I am a huge believer in checking or changing sensors... try the TPS first since it's the least expensive! Also I've had a wire trying to come loose causing surge.

Oh yeah... I just read that the "check engine" light blinks on and off... the only thing that will cause that is emissions, like u said an o2 sensor, egr (surging?), gas cap, maf sensor, etc... it really should say check emissions, but i'm no engineer.

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:32 PM   #4
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default Re: Sputtering/Surging

latemodel resto sells aftermarket TPS for $40-$50, where did you pick it up for $20?
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: