MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-02-2002, 05:39 PM   #1
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Angry Teach Your Children Well MY FOOTY!!!

I'm pissed!!! (As usual )

Peeve of the day is...

Kids that walk/bike/play in the street, and don't even watch out for their own skins. Has anyone else noticed this kind of behavior in younger children???

My folks always taught me that the only person I can trust to look out for me...IS me. It seems that in this upper lower class/lower middle class neighborhood, the kids think that drivers are always aware of them, and it really worries me!

I was on my way to the grocery store (yes going the speed limit 25mph) and these kids on bikes just RIDE OUT RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME...if I had been a.) speeding, b.) fiddling with the radio, c.) just not paying attention period, one or more of those children could have been seriously injured/killed I had to quickly SLAM on my brakes to avoid hitting them..and they had the NERVE to glare at me like I was in the one ignoring traffic laws.

Maybe its just Jersey or something, because some of the older kids/adults around here do that too. What if I were some old, partially blind person that SHOULDN'T have a license??? Why is someone going to walk out in front of me and trust ME with THEIR life??

Ugh...I'm just venting because the whole thing really shook me up, and I can't understand that kind of behavior My parents had taught me to look both ways before crossing by kindergarden

Thanks for listening, Belle
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 05:42 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Take deep breaths and look at mustang parts , it will help calm you down...

Thats what I do.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 05:47 PM   #3
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Hehe, its actually very comforting to know that I'm not the only one that does that

Bad day at work? *click* EBAY!
Old 08-02-2002, 05:47 PM   #4
The Deuce
Registered Member

I've noticed that too. There are gromet kids around my house that play in the parking area and go flying around on bikes etc. They get all pissed when I come driving in beacuse I am making THEM move. I don't know if its a class thing, or a generational thing.

I think it may have something to do with the whole 'soccer mom' thing. When I drive through my mom neighborhood, I always get yelled at and told to "SLOW DOWN". Do they no how fast I'm going? No. It is simply because my cars are loud. I don't speed around there, because the kids are stupid.

The fact is people now adays think that everyone owes them something. If you have a victim mentality you don't cover your own behind. Simple fact of where society as a whole is going.

Sad.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 05:49 PM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

The kids in my neighborhood are exactly the same way....

I swear it's like an obstacle course turning into my neighborhood after work every day.

They zoom out from behind cars....
start walking across the street RIGHT as I'm passing them....

And forget about actually looking where they're going on bicycles... Heck, some of them can't even avoid wrecking against the curb in the street... and that's stationary!!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 06:10 PM   #6
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Yeah...try living in a small, small town like I grew up in.

There seem to be a lot of gangsta wanna-be's in smaller towns. Hale Center has a minority-is-the-majority population (about 70%hispanic and 30% other) with lots of little kid punks trying to act baaad or tough.

They would purposely walk down the street, sometimes right in the freaking middle of the street, other times just a couple of feet from the curb, but enough to make you veer to avoid them. Not hard to do without traffic, but it sure tempts you to nail one or two. Then, as you passed, they'd give you that "What the freak you think you lookin' at, dawg?" look.

Ridiculous, and as Belle and others know, quite frustrating.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 06:38 PM   #7
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Angry

If I were you I'd just run over the little pisses and sue the idiot parents for any damages to my vehicle.

I feel like saying this sometimes but I know it's wrong to say it. I've experienced this b4 also, and what I wrote above is what I sometimes think at first (one of the normal pissed human reactions), but in reality, it makes you feel kinda sad knowing that there are actually kids who die that way. Many times it is the parents' fault. You hear cries like "I just went to the next room to answer the phone. I was only gone for a minute"---baby drowned in bathtub. Or "Well I just went to the back yard to put a tool back in the shed"---kid runs out in the road after a ball and gets hit by a car. One time, some kids were out playing in the middle of the road where I live and weren't even looking around for cars. When my brother passed them, he pulled into their driveway and knocked on the door and told the parents they need to keep their kid from playin in the road cause he almost hit em.
But stupid parents breed stupid kids, those kids become parents soon enough and breed more stupid kids (future stupid parents) and the cycle continues.... SAD.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 07:43 PM   #8
PKRWUD

Those damn kids are here, too, but they tend to be much more prevalent in the hispanic neighborhoods. In Oxnard (largest hispanic population in Ventura County), for example, you simply have to drive well under the speed limit on anything other than the main boulevards or you run a very high risk of hitting a kid. It is said that since they tend to be lower income families, that the streets are their playgrounds. BS.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 07:48 PM   #9
induction
The Brit!

Angry

DITTO!!!!!!!!!! try driving around here, My neighborhood is a one way in and out oval ( more loke the letter "P") and these kids are as stupid as they come!!!!! The worst of them live across the street from me, these kids can be in the street with the parents ( drunk) looking at them from the yard as cars drive by. And never once has any parent said a thing to any of them about safety or anything else for that matter. To make matters worse they have family that lives around the corner and this jacka$$ (18 yr old with a DUI) is always doing at least 45 mph as he turns the corner( an yes its rice too ) he is going to kill one of his own family members now that is sad!!! Get this I once told the girls(16 yr old with two kids) boyfriend to turn down the "CIRCUS MUSIC" in his clown car (rice) that was parked in front of my bedroom window. Well as it turned out I lost three windows on my explorer overnite!. But at last I do have a plan, I think it's time to remove a few manhole covers , sit on the porch with a brew an watch the sparks fly!
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 08:04 PM   #10
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by induction
But at last I do have a plan, I think it's time to remove a few manhole covers , sit on the porch with a brew an watch the sparks fly!
ROFLMFAO!!!!!

Brilliant.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 08:07 PM   #11
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Kids and safety issues

I'm not so sure that this stuff is purely generational or limited to class and/or race, although maybe it is. I know that when I was a kid (in a solidly middle-class, lily-white neighborhood) and riding my bike around, I did dumb kid stuff, like pull out in front of cars. Not on purpose, just inattentive and with no clue of what it takes to stop a 3,000 pound vehicle, even at 25 mph. I suspect this is just typical kid stuff that they all do at some point, based mostly on ignorance and naivete.

Of course, the current MTV/gangsta generation is a factor in some cases. The 'NOBODY be telling ME what to do, man' attitude that makes even walking on the sidewalk somehow 'wimpy' while walking in the road is 'kewl'. That's annoying, at best, but when it's little kids, I think it's just, well, little kids being dumb.

As for parent's responsibility, as a parent, let me tell you that while you can have the best intentions and otherwise be a 'perfect' parent, a little kid, especially a toddler (2 -3 years old) can get away from you in an instant. It's happened to me. While it's easy to blame the parents (and sometimes deserved) no one is perfect and no parent can watch their child every moment. The child's safety is still the parent's ultimate responsibility of course, but for you non-parents, I can tell you that it's harder than you might think to watch a young child every minute. For parents, well, you already know this.

Drive safely and watch out for kids and idiots.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 09:01 PM   #12
gt lee

I think this kind of thing happens everywhere. And to be truthfull I have to blame the parents to the most extent. You have to teach children what is right and wrong. My grandkids had to wait a long time before they were able to ride there bikes to our house, which is not very far at all. But the road they have to travel is a narrow winding road. So being the clever parent that my daughter is. Told them they could come over. Well what they didn't know was that she was watching them the whole time. And had to call home to let her know they made it. Just takes a little responablity on all parties. Odie
Old 08-02-2002, 11:02 PM   #13
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally posted by induction
Well as it turned out I lost three windows on my explorer overnite!.
Someone should have lost some balls the next night

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 01:53 AM   #14
Tod
Registered Member

now that every situation i've encoutered has been mentioned i'll just simply agree with the lot of ya. but in sharing nearly the exact same encounter as belle on more than one occasion, i too am growing weary of being the responsible, curtious 22 year old with a sports car. my neighborhood has no problem with kids in the street as opposed to my girlfriends developement with is roughly 5 times the size of mine and that means many more kids. i drive on 1 single road to get to her place from the main road, and not only are they jumping out from behind parked cars on the side of the street, but they're flyin out of their driveways in little wagons not being even close to careful. and if it's not that, i'll be driving and a group of about 6 kids are walking and/or riding their bikes/skateboards right at you, only moving when they absolutely have to to avoid being a breathing speedbump. there's a couple of kids that are no older than 5, one of which was bent over tying his shoe 4 feet from the side of the road on 1 occasion. i had to stop because there was a car coming the other way, i look up at his house and i see no car in the driveway, and an empty garage. nobody home and the kid playing with his little fat, heavy breathing, always sweating buddy who also seems to think the road was paved for him to 1) ride his bike, and 2) local traffic. one of these days, fats is gonna ride in front of one of the many teenagers who rip through there and get smooshed. it's pretty much lack of responsibility by the parents, like it always has been. and if it's not enough, when the parents ARE actually out there, even with creeeeping past their kids bouncing a ball on the road, they'll glare at me like i'm some sort of trouble maker hot-rodding past their kids. do these people HAVE back yards???
Old 08-03-2002, 02:50 AM   #15
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: Teach Your Children Well MY FOOTY!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustangbelle306
I'm pissed!!! (As usual )
f

Ugh...I'm just venting because the whole thing really shook me up, and I can't understand that kind of behavior My parents had taught me to look both ways before crossing by kindergarden

Thanks for listening, Belle

nah, it ain't just you. as much as i hate to admit it i'm begginn to see what people have told me about this me an this generation's young people. its a fascinating time to be young, the internet, technology, an ever changin world.. it saturates our young people so much that they lose intrest in simple persuits like reading, hobbies(exc. sports an TV) an no longer have to wait for anything. its a minisound bite, nintendo generation at the helm of the world. they grow up in an age where attention spans last nanoseconds an a minute is 60 seconds too long. example: (the WTC were destroyed in less than 3 hours. technology morphs so fast that top of the line computers are obsolete in 6 months.. its nuts.
==============================================
i work in retail in summer when i'm not in school, an i notice that parents prefer to let there lil kids run wild rather than keep them under there thumbs. i usually don't care, as long as they aren't bothering our guests and aren't destroying things. kids think they're so smart nowadays, an they are right partially they comprehend things our older generation can't...of course it goes the other way in that this generation probably can't darnd a sock or hoe a field, or do math without a calculator worth a damn either.

moms too busy worrin about who know what, stressed out from a job an has to also tend to her "traditional household duties". kids are screamin, pickin at each other (its normal). so she sends them away so she can relax for a few minutes. it makes sense, but ultimately she knows its wrong to do..but like anything, this gets easier with habbit. untill its been conditioned into a child that store=freedom from mom. doin this enough times, the kid slowly bends the control of the parent an will push the limits of a situation at anytime. in the yard, at a dance, on the playground..untill he/she is a lil spoiled hellion.

its sad that "Family" has been reduced to somthin of fiction an legal rhetoric. the divorce rate is nuts. single income families, broken homes, early teen pregnancies... it all goes hand in hand with the "lil monster runs amok problem."
kids can't think abstractly an so they wanna push the limits of their enviroment at a certain age, get into some trouble an see what happens jus to know jwhat they can an cannot do.

are you scared yet?

1994 GT 5.0l
0h n0 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 07:09 AM   #16
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deuce
The fact is people now adays think that everyone owes them something. If you have a victim mentality you don't cover your own behind. Simple fact of where society as a whole is going.

Sad.
That is the absolute, retch inducing truth in several sentences. Just like the rude people on the road that cut into my lane that I complained about when I first moved to NJ. *sigh* I shudder to think how things will be in several decades As morbid as it sounds, I'm glad I was born when I was...certainly don't want to be part of that generation, or be around as long as they're gonna be

Liberalism (originally "meant" to do so much good) has basically ruined the ethical system of this country by telling us anything and everything is "OK" and either we accept it, or we're bigots, prejudiced, whatever I'm bitchin' about these kids, but truthfully, I pity them. They ARE the true victims, and just don't know it yet.

Yeah, I'm plenty scared
Old 08-05-2002, 07:25 AM   #17
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Kids are stupid these days... I'm glad I was never a kid

It basically comes down to this.... the parents today don't know how to parent their children. The children are a by-product of their parent(s)/gaurden(s). They learn directly and indirectly (by example) from them. There should be some kind of mandatory class ppl have to take inorder to have a child. Maybe that will help a little.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote