MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
NYstang
Registered Member

Post start after 2 years?

I have an 87 mustang gt 5.0. Due to financial reasons and buying a brand new car my mustang has now been sitting for 2 years. Last started, run, and used in nov 2005. When I put it away nothing was wrong with it. I now want to get it started and running again. What should I do to prime it or get it ready to start it?
btw - it has sat for 6 months before due to winter and always fires right up...also has new plugs in summer of 2005.
Thanks for any advice you may have.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:57 AM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: start after 2 years?

I would say an oil change and flush the coolant. Spin the oil pump shaft to get the oil up everywhere. Is there still 2yr old gas in it? That might be bad, unless you put stabill in it, though I dont know if that can last 2yrs either... I wondering if putting some penetrating oil into the cylinders would be a good idea or not, in case of rust between the wall/piston/rings. Might want to see what others recommend as far as that goes.
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
NYstang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxmon View Post
I would say an oil change and flush the coolant. Spin the oil pump shaft to get the oil up everywhere. Is there still 2yr old gas in it? That might be bad, unless you put stabill in it, though I dont know if that can last 2yrs either... I wondering if putting some penetrating oil into the cylinders would be a good idea or not, in case of rust between the wall/piston/rings. Might want to see what others recommend as far as that goes.
Thanks for the advice. I'll do the oil, coolant, and spin the pump. Yes it has 2yr old gas in it, but very little, it was on or below E when i put it away, ill see if i can get it out and put fresh gas in. I was also wondering about putting penetrating oil in the cylinders, I've seen it done on cars that sat for years or junkers, but didnt know if 2 years would bring about rust or not. I'll check back to see if anyone else has an opinion on that. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
USMC302
Registered Member

If the vehicle was stored with little to no gas in the tank then condinsation is sure to build, try also running some water remover in the tank. Battery will most likely be dead so bring some jumper cables with you. Drain the oil and put it on jack stands when you aren't going to be starting it for long periods like that. Check for dry rots on the tires, don't trust them at high speeds until you check them. Good Luck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: