MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-21-2001, 10:08 PM   #1
Shawn
Registered Member

Post Can't get 73' to start...has sat for 3 years...

Just wondering if anyone out there has a little insight, tried to start an old 73 full size with a big block and it just wouldn't kick over. The car was running fine when it was parked 3 years ago. We put new plugs, plug wires, points, drained old fuel and put new fuel in. There is spark at the plug, and fuel is squirting in the carb, but it won't fire. Could the points be set wrong?..Timing hasn't been changed...anything will help!
Shawn
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 08:35 AM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

To get back to basics. The engine needs three things to run, fuel, spark and compression. Now the spark has to be timed to the compression too.

After you try and start it are the plugs gas fouled??

If they are clean and new, then you aren't getting fuel to engine. If they are fouled with gas you have either flooded engine or don't have spark at plug.

I would pull #1 plug and check the compression. If it is good then bring the engine around till it is on TDC. Tell this by the air coming out of the plug hole and the timing mark on the dampner. Then check and see where the rotor is in relation to cap.

If that is OK and the spark is blue then lets check fuel. Is the gas new?? Do the plugs foul with gas while you're trying to start it and it doesn't start??

If the compression isn't there the lifters could of collapsed. But, that isn't likly.

Let us know how you're making out. It should run though.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 05:01 AM   #3
Power
Registered Member

Another thing me and my white trash buddies would do is just put it in gear(if manual) and push and pop the clutch. Force that MOFO to run.

Seriously though, gearhead covered what pretty much what I would have said. Also keep in mind that old engines are like old women. Gotta prime em for awhile to get em to run.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 10:20 PM   #4
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Red face

One thing Power, after you get the car to run you can shut it off when you want......
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 10:47 PM   #5
thunderbolt
Registered Member

One thing you might try in addition to the above with the timing as gear suggested, make sure your carb is set to choke. I recently had to replace a distributor that broke at a most unfortunate time (70 mph). Got everything lined up, had gas going into the carb, but still no go. Set the choke, and pumped the throttle about 8 times and it fired off.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 03:03 AM   #6
Power
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gearhead999:
One thing Power, after you get the car to run you can shut it off when you want......
Very true.....shoot, gotta run, "someone" is calling.

Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 03:29 PM   #7
Shawn
Registered Member

Question

OK, got the car fired up...rebuilt the carb and thats all it took. Ran great-but-shut it off for a while, went back to start it and it ran horrible, sounded like every other plug was fouling. Does it sound like the timing chain jumped a tooth to anyone? How could I check this easily without tearing the front open?
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:43 AM   #8
thunderbolt
Registered Member

A problem I had a few years ago, really furstrating after rebuilding the carb, but something clogged a jet causing no fuel to get to every other cylinder. You might try pulling the plug wires, one at a time and see which cylinders are dead. If every other one, you may have a clogged carb jet. Note, this only occurs with dual plane manifolds. Cured the problem by getting the engine running and slapping a cover over the carb. The engine vac pulls very hard at the carb jets and it pulled out what ever was clogging it up. Or take it apart and clean it again.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote