MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-25-2003, 10:54 AM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Default Starter cranks hard after engine get's hot

I've had this problem ever since I finished the car last year. I'm not sure if it's a wiring problem, or if it just my setup. Basically what happens is after I've driven around for a while and the engine gets real hot, the starter just drags and barely turns the engine over. I've heard that it's due to me 1) having the shorty header where the collectors are right next to the starter, or 2) something else. Anyone even experience anything like this??

BTW-I've tried buying a new "hi-torque" starter and it didn't work. I've also tried those cheap blanket-like heat shields and it didn't work.

Thanks
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:59 AM   #2
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Generally this is a sign of a starter going bad, but you say you have replaced it? I would say check your wiring and make sure that all of your connections are tight. Also, check to insure that the wires are not corroded and the jacket is in good shape.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:47 AM   #3
tmoss
Registered Member

This is a "heat soak" problem - my car has stock exhust system (except for catbacks)/stock starter and I have the same problem when it's real hot outside and I sit in traffic. Stop open the hood for 10-15 minutes and it starts back up. Had the same problem in my 67 Camaro too. Shielding the starter from the headers effectively is all you can do. I put ceramic header wrap on the Camaro and pretty much stopped it. Ceramic coated headers would go a long way in reducing the problem if you don't have aftermarkets on there already.
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 04:21 PM   #4
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

I have had the same problem, with shorty headers also, but when i put a high torque on there it took care of it. You might have a wire problem. I would replace all the battery cables and make shure you have good connections.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: