MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-18-2001, 09:17 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Exclamation Starter ? -please help

Where do you bolt the brackets for the starter line and where do you run the wire (Under the blocK?) Also, this is a stupid question but does the engine block have to be grounded for the starter to kick over (I assume it does)? The reason why I'm asking is because my starter was working until I bolted onto the tranny and I can't figure out where to bolt the line down to. Thanks
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 11:28 PM   #2
BlackFly
Registered Member

your engine does need to be grounded, and grounded well! i had my engine out, cleaned it all up, painted it , put it back, it started and ran like crap. finally found the main from the battery to be not grounded well because of paint! cleaned it up and wow!! all kinds of running problems went away. good grounds. think good grounds everywhere. there is one from the firewall to the engine.one from the battery to the block.one from the battery to the body.sometimes one from the exhaust to the body. all important. it starts like a champ now.
BlackFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 11:31 PM   #3
BlackFly
Registered Member

oh yah, the wire usually has a bracket on it and is bolted to the timing pointer, routed under the balancer around the front of the oil pan , not under.
BlackFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 05:49 AM   #4
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Yeah, I can hear the starter solenoid clicking but the starter just wouldn't kick. I just painted my engine bay also so I better chech on my grounds. So do you think the problemis with the install of the starter or the fact that my block isn't grounded? Thanks for the response!
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote